Thread: Origin server that can act as edge

Default Origin server that can act as edge

Hi there!

I would need a Wowza setup scheme that would allow any server to act both as an origin and an edge. Using the same application, a client app would both publish a stream (origin server) and play a foreign stream from another origin/edge. The usage for this would be for a 1/1 video chat where each of the two participants would connect to the nearest server.
    I could not find an easy setup to do so. Could you advise?

Thank you.

You can use the same app as origin and edge. Set the StreamType of "live" in your Application.xml file, then use as an edge by starting origin streams with ServerManager or StartUpStream.xml with MediaCaster type "liverepeater".

and use same application as origin by publishing to it.

Salvadore

Wouldn't using StartUpStream.xml imply that I know all the stream names and origins in advance?

You can use the MediaCaster API to start the streams programatically.

You do not need to use origin/edge for 1 to 1 video chat. Here is a guide on how to set it up:
    How to set up live video chat

Salvadore

Thank you for your quick replies.

I have been using the simple setup for years, but now I need each client to connect to the nearest server. If I have a client from Australia and a client from North America, I don't want them to be randomly paired with an Asian server. Each should be connected to their continental server and the Wowza application should act both as an edge and as an origin.

A setup similar to the following:

Client A:
    publish to: rtmp://america.com/app/inst/[streamA]
    play from: rtmp://america.com/app/inst/[rtmp://australia.com/app/inst/streamB]

Client B:
    publish to: rtmp://australia.com/app/inst/[streamB]
    play from: rtmp://australia.com/app/inst/[rtmp://america.com/app/inst/streamA]

That is the exact setup I need. Otherwise I can think of using 2 separate connections for each "chat-room" and two applications on each server, one origin and one edge, but that would be too much work to handle properly.

I don't think I would use Live Stream Repeater for this. I would find some other scheme, perhaps geoIP, to pair chatters to the same server, then proceed normally with direct low-latency RTMP connections.

Richard

I know the latency will be larger when using origin/edge, but in my case it's more important to have good load balancing and image quality.
    Is such a deployment even possible? To have the same application instance act as an edge and origin?

Cristian.

Yes, you can use the same app as origin and edge. Set the StreamType to "live" in your Application.xml file, then use as an edge by starting origin streams with ServerManager or StartUpStream.xml with MediaCaster type "liverepeater".

Then use the same application as an origin by publishing to it.

Salvadore