Thread: Max number of clients info needed

Default Max number of clients info needed

Hi,

I'm using WMS 3.63. I have s setup where in a live feed comes from an encoder. I have configured Wowza to recieve this stream and republish it as an HLS stream. The system that I use is i7-3770 with 8GB RAM. Only Wowza is running on this system and nothing else. The streaming is purely local on a 192 network and not over the internet

I need to know what is the maximum number of clients to whom I can stream. I have a usecase where in I might need to stream to more than 1000 clients. Is such a thing possible with my configuration? Please let me know

Regards,
    Jagadish

Hi,
    A lot will depend on the stream you are re-sending. The hardware specified is very reasonable, but bitrate is most likely the important factor.
    If your stream is 1Mbps, then 1000 connections will saturate a (assumed) 1Gbps NIC, so you'll need more network bandwidth than that. If your stream bitrate is less,
    such as 700Mbps, then you'll be in better shape with 1Gbps available.
    We would recommend testing, using your stream, with the Wowza Load Testing Tool here.

Best regards,
    Daren

Hi,

What you are saying absolutely makes sense. Since I'm limited by my 1Gbps network card can I always safely assume my network card is going to be the bottle neck? My streams are 500Kbps, which means 2000 clients.

I havent really tested the load as yet. But any benchmark on what percentage of CPU it might take while pushing out 1Gbps of data? If the load is not high, I will consider running transcoder addon as well to lower the bitrate for some clients

Regards,
    Jagadish

You should be ok with that hardware, but I'm not sure it's safe to assume anything, best to Load Test.
    Factor in that you will never get 100% from your network card. There are overheads, so if keep it
    around 80% of capability. So 1600 connections at 500Kbps, or 2000 connections at 400Kbps
    will keep it around 80%.

This FAQ has a rather old benchmark, so older hardware, but gives you an idea of what is
    possible with more up-to-date components here.
    Take a look under "Have you conducted performance tests?"

Transcoder AddOn can definitely add significantly to the CPU. Is yours is a i7-3770, or is it a
    i7-3770K ? The K means it has Quicksync capability, in which case you'll be able to transcode
    using QuickSync hardware acceleration, significantly reducing the CPU utilization that the transcode
    process normally takes. There's a Transscoder AddOn overview here.

Daren

Thanks for the information

My system is i7-3770 so it might not have quicksync. Will try to do load testing and share my results

Thanks for the help

Regards,
    Jagadish