Thread: Packetizing on edge

Default Packetizing on edge

Hi there ... I want to packetize HTTP streams on the edge to reduce traffic between origin and server.
    I have origin with no livestreamingpacketizer set ... and on edge, I have, i.e. cupertinostreamingpacketizer.
    Origin server is set as liverepeater-origin, and edge as liverepeater-edge, plus the setting on edge with the wowz:// URL

It was my understading this should be the setting for packetizing on edge, keeping the traffic between origin/edge as rtmp

Well, ... it's not working ... edge logs error saying the stream doesn't exist ... there's no log indicating is trying to get the rtmp from the origin.

So, what would be the settings to packetize on edge only?

Thanks

What is the stream name you are publishing to the origin, and what is the stream name you are playing from the edge?

If you publish a stream named "myStream" to an application on the origin server named "liveorigin", you should make a .stream file on the edge in the /content folder named, for example, origin.stream, and make the contents of that file:

rtmp://[wowza-origin-addresss]:1935/liveorigin/myStream

Then on the edge server, using an application name "liveedge", you can playback the origin stream in Flash RTMP Wowza example player

Server: rtmp://[wowza-edge-address]:1935/liveedge
    Stream: origin.stream

So the name of the stream to play on the edge, in this example, is "origin.stream"

Richard

Hi Richard ... thanks for the prompt answer
    I was wondering if there's a way to do it without having to create manually each .stream file on the edge. I want to take advantage of the repeater setting (configuring what's the origin for pulling the rtmp), but creating the http packetizing on the edge.
    My understanding is there's one connection between edge and origin per streaming protocol when origin/edge setting is configured, and packetizing is done on origin. One pull from rtmp, one for hls, one for hds, etc .... that's is not efficient in terms of BW between origin and edge.
    I'd like to have one rtmp per stream between origin and edge, and all the http versions created on the edge. I undertand that creating .stream file, pulling from origin will work, but it requires configuration for each stream
    On origin/edge, you don't need manual configuration ... you publish a stream on origin, and edge goes and finds it.
    I read here that is possible, but it doesn't really work when I tried (http://www.wowza.com/forums/showthre...ediary-servers)

So, to summary ... I'd like to have one rtmp stream between origin and edge, without having to set .stream files to pull the streams from origin ... just having a repeater url on the edge to pull the rtmp, and packetize on the edge

Cheers

You can set the origin URL in the edge Application.xml. Then play myStream from the edge. Wowza puts simple stream name and origin URL together.

that's what I'm doing, but it's now working
    It works fine for RTMP, but I soon as I try any http streaming, it doesn't work. For instance, if I try an HLS, I can see on console it tries to bring the .m3u8 from the origin, and origin rejects the call. As you said, it tries to pull from origin+stream_name+playlist.m3u8 , but origin is not set for packetizing, so it fails

Double check that, because that's not how it works. When you packetize on the origin the edge to origin connection that services HLS clients on the edge uses wowz or rtmp protocol (depending on version), there is not call to playlist.m3u8 to the origin. If the origin LiveStreamPacketizers is empty and the edge LiveStreamPacketizers has "cupertinostreamingpacketizer" it works as you want.

[noparse]http://[wowza-address]:1935/liveedge/myStream/playlist.m3u8[/nopars]

Richard

I tested again, and here's what I see
    By the way ... origin is set as liverepeater-origin and has LiveStreamPacketizer empty and is playing a stream called tyclive.stream (it's pulling an RTMP from another server)
    Edge is set as liverepeater-edge, with LiveStreamPacketizer set to cupertinostreamingpacketizer, and the origin url set as wowz://origin_ip/origin

If I play from edge, as rtmp (rtmp://edge_ip/edge/tyclive.stream) it plays ok ... console shows following

wowz://107.22.58.134:1935/origin/_definst_/tyclive.stream][mp4a.40.2]: AAC Audio info: {AACFrame: codec:AAC, channels:2, frequency:48000, samplesPerFrame:1024, objectType:LC}
    INFO stream play wowz://107.22.58.134:1935/origin/_definst_/tyclive.stream -

If I play from edge using HLS, (http://origin_ip:1935/edge/tyclive.stream/playlist.m3u8) it doesn't play and console shows "stream not found"

NFO cupertino connect 982251512 -
    INFO stream create tyclive.stream -
    WARN server comment - HTTPStreamerAdapterCupertinoStreamer.onPlaylist: Stream not found [edge/tyclive.stream/playlist.m3u8]: tyclive.stream
    WARN server comment - HTTPStreamerAdapterCupertinoStreamer.onPlaylist: Stream not found [edge/tyclive.stream/chunklist_w982251512.m3u8]: tyclive.stream

It's like edge server is looking for the stream to be published locally instead of going to fetch it from origin

Thanks

You might have to start the stream on the edge in this case with MediaCaster type "liverepeater"

Richard