Wowza Community

Live stream freezes after a few seconds (Tricaster, FMLE, ...)

Hi!

I’m using live streaming with wowzaMedaServer 3.5.2 and a stream file live.stream [udp://0.0.0.0:8001 yes the port is open :wink:].

I’m creating the rtp stream with name live.stream in the wowza streammanager.

When streaming over rtmp://wowzaaddress/myapplication port: 8001 and watching the stream with a rtmp player over the streamname live.stream,

everything just works perfectly fine.

But some devices (like Tricaster etc) do not support streaming to a specific port, but to a given stream name.

So, when I’m streaming over rtmp://wowzaaddress/myapplication stream name: live.stream and watch the stream with the same player,

it works a few seconds and freezes.

There are no errors in the access or error log file.

(btw: when streaming to a not existing stream e.g. test.stream, i can watch the stream over rtmp player and test.stream without any problem)

Any ideas why it’s freezing?

What is the source of the stream? I.P camera? RTMP encoder?

What StreamType are you using in /conf/[app-name]/Application.xml?

What are the stream details?

-Bitrate

-FPS

-Keyframe interval(GOP length)

-audio and video codec

How often does this issue occur? Every time? once in a while?

Does it help to restart to source? Or restart Wowza?

Salvadore

Make sure you are following this guide:

How to set up live streaming using an RTMP-based encoder

You should not need to use a .stream file, or Stream Manager in order to play the stream.

RTMP based encoders publish or “Push” a stream to the Wowza server. Wowza will show a “publish” event when the encoder starts. Start Wowza in Stand-alone ([install-dir]/bin/startup.bat) mode, and start the encoder. Do you see a “publish” event?

You can also “pull” a stream into Wowza, say for example, from an I.P. camera, this is when you need to use a .stream file that points to the I.P. address of the source (I.P. camera), and Stream Manager to pull the stream to Wowza.

In this case you would want to follow this guide:

How to publish and play a live stream (MPEG-TS based encoder)

Salvadore

Correct, you can publish to any port you want to, that is open over RTMP. You do have to include the port in the URL.

Salvadore

Your welcome, glad I could help.

Salvadore

Hi Salvadore, thx for the quick answer!

The source stream comes from the NewTrek Tricaster’s live rtmp encoder (http://www.newtek.com/products/tricaster-8000.html)

My stream type is live.

The settings of my Application.xml are set as described in the Wowza Tutorial for Live Streaming:

live

cupertinostreamingpacketizer, smoothstreamingpacketizer, sanjosestreamingpacketizer, sanjosestreamingpacketizer

cupertinostreaming,smoothstreaming,sanjosestreaming

none

Codecs are H.264 and ACC, bitrate 100kb/s, 15fps, keyframe every 2 seconds.

But I tried many different codecs, bitrates, framerates and keyframe intervalls (from 1 to 4 seconds).

The issue occurs every time. Restarting does not solve the problem.

But it works every time when i do not use the given live.stream file.

Thx

Yes, that’s the guide i followed.

I kind of thought, that you have to set a .stream file in the stream manager to tell the wowza to listen the port that’s defined in this file.

In the Minicaster’s preferences you can set an IP and a port to stream to. And this stream only works with a .stream file in the steram manager.

But maybe the Minicaster provides a pull stream, I don’t know.

So, you only need a .stream file, if you want to pull a stream?

I thought a .stream file works as a redirection.

Let’s say I don’t want to open all ports of my wowza server and I only want the upload stream to stream through port 8000.

Then a don’t have to create a .stream file, but I have to set the upstream to:

URL: rtmp://[wowzaaddress]:8000/[myapplication]

Streamname: WhatEverIWant

Is that right?

Thx

Thank you!