Wowza Community

re-stream from a akamai f4m file

Hello,

I need to re-stream a live video that is published on akamai CDN. I have a way to generate the URL of the f4m file, but have not found how to instruct Wowza server to re-stream it. All I could find is the I have to create a .stream file with RTMP or RTSP URL of the stream.

Thanks,

Eyal.

Hi there, take a look at this article for configuring an application and re-streaming the live stream from a CDN:

How to re-stream an unprotected stream from Adobe Media Server or a CDN

Salvadore

What you show above is a Silverlight smooth stream manifest that appears to be coming from Akamai. Wowza does not support ingress of smooth streams, or any stream over HTTP (except shoutcast).

You can re-stream RTMP from Akamai if the stream is unprotected. If the source of the above manifest is something like

http://[akamai-address]/appname/myStream/Manifest

, try playing it back in RTMP Wowza player:

Server: rtmp://[akamai-addddress:1935/appname

Streamname: myStream

If RTMP playback works, then you can try to re-stream it following this guide

If it is protected, re-streaming following that guide will not work. In that case, you cannot use that source.

Richard

Right, sorry, HDS manifest not Smooth manifest. But no, as I’ve mentioned, re-streaming is only supported for RTMP, RTSP and UDP streams. HTTP ingress, with the exception of shoutcast, is not supported in Wowza.

Richard

Hi Salvador,

I looked at that post, but for the source stream it says there:

"1.Use a text editor to create the file [install-dir]/content/rtmp.stream and set the contents of this file to the full RTMP URL of the stream that you want to re-stream (for example:

rtmp://cp12345.live.edgefcs.net/live/myStream@2440). The file must have a .stream filename extension."

Problem is I do not have the stream’s URL, only its f4m URL.

Any idea?

Thanks, Eyal.

The source video in my case is live - not stored files. So as far as I understand MediaCache will not help. Is there any simple way to direct Wowza to re-stream from the f4m file?

Thanks, Eyal.

My problem is that I do not know the URL to the source. All I have is a f4m file which I do not know how to extract the source’s URL from. Attached is the f4m file.

If you can help me figure out how to extract the URL from it, I will be very grateful.

Thanks, Eyal.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

akamai:version2.0</akamai:version>

akamai:bw2000</akamai:bw>

dclive_1

live

akamai:streamTypelive</akamai:streamType>

<pv-2.0>;hdntl=exp=1389715459~acl=%2fz%2fdclive_*~data=hdntl~hmac=690f7aa817972d53e00c931206e3a6107a0736f0a261c96744a29cf4322b7a73</pv-2.0>

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

I checked with the stream creator, and he sais he generate it with Flash Media Encoder - so it is surely not SilverLight. Anyway to “feed” Wowza with this F4M source?

The stream is a standart Adobe HTTP Dynamic Streaming (HDS), manifested by the f4m file. Does Wowza supports restream of HDS?

You can access the video files on the CDN over HTTP using the MediaCache AddOn:

How to get MediaCache AddOn (scale video on demand streaming)

Salvadore

Eyal, Sorry for the confusion. I was thrown off by the .f4m reference, and MediaCache was not the right suggestion on my part.

But the first article I posted is what you need to use:

How to re-stream an unprotected stream from Adobe Media Server or a CDN

If you are unable to get this working, you can post the details of your set up for us to look over:

What you have tried

What are the contents of the .stream file

What is the URL to the source

Application configuration

etc.

Salvadore

You can restream over RTMP from FMS.

However what your showing looks to be the manifest of a “smooth” stream that is played in Silverlight player. Smooth stream ingress is not supported.

I do not think there is a way to do this with Wowza.

Salvadore