Thread: RTSP via UDP

Default RTSP via UDP

I'm running Wowza Media Server 3.6.4 on a small EC2 instance.

I'm not able to stream videos via RTSP over UDP:
    - connecting with VLC (Win7 PC) takes about 10 seconds and then switches to RTSP over TCP (audio & video ok)
    - connecting QT Player (Win7 PC) takes about 10 seconds and then switches to RTSP over TCP (no video, audio ok)
    - Android 1.x phones dont play the video, e.g. LG GT540
    - missing audio problems

when I installed the server on a local machine and try to stream the same video there are no problems:
    - VLC starts playing within 1-2 sec.
    - Android 1.x phones playback works
    - no missing audio problems

I've been working on this for a year now, read and followed _every guide_ on about EC2 & ports etc. available.

only error message I could find (extra rstp debugging is turned on):

WARN server comment 2014-01-17 22:44:02 1.314 RTPUDPTransport.bind[qr/_definst_]: Failure to bind to address[/]: java.lang.NullPointerException: address

since it must have to do with the EC2 machine having a private ip address I tried many different settings for these parameters in the Application config:

I'm now asking for some feedback please, does anyone actually stream via RTSP over UDP from an Amazon EC2 Wowza installation?

EDIT 1:
    here is an example stream on the EC2 instance. depending on the port I'm using I'm getting different results with VLC:
    rtsp:// pomm2.mp4 (10 sec delay, audio & video ok)
    rtsp:// pomm2.mp4 (no delay, no audio)
    rtsp:// pomm2.mp4 (10 sec delay, audo & video ok)

thank you,
    Last edited by luvolondon; 01-18-2014 at 06:59 AM.

This sounds like UDP ports are not open on the server and/or, not mapped properly in your network.

Take a look at this guide for more information:
    Networking (UDP and TCP setup)
    How to troubleshoot RTSP/RTP playback

thank you for pointing me into the right direction. after more succesful testing with VLC on a PC directly connected to the internet at an ISP's hosting location I found out that it must be my local DSL setup that's causing the problems.

my DSL connection is via German T-Online and I'm using a Juniper SSG-5 firewall appliance. I looked through the SSG-5 and I can't find a place where the device might block UDP traffic. so I guess it is T-Online that's causing the problems.