Wowza Community

streaming to Kindle Fire HD (2nd gen) and HDX?

We’re trying to stream HLS to recent Kindle Fire HD models. In both of the devices listed in the subject line, the browser tries to download the .m3u8 file instead of handing it to a media player.

Our HLS streams play just fine on iOS and android 4 devices.

Is it possible there’s some workaround for this?

I don’t have a device to test on, but it sounds like you are entering the URL directly in the browser, so you might try using an HTML5 video tag.

Salvadore

I don’t think that would work. An HTML5 video element can’t play HLS streams, right? I could provide a progressive download for some VOD clips, but that doesn’t help for live video.

It took me a little while to be able to try it, but you were right – you can in fact serve up a minimal HTML5 page with a

Now the question is whether I can reliably distinguish between those devices and standard Android 4 devices so that we can continue to send Android 4 devices directly to our HLS stream’s URL, which opens the native player (the native player is a much better experience than a

Recently, the HTML 5 video tag was only supported over the HLS streaming protocol, and played back in iOS and/or the Apple Safari browser running on Mac OS X.

With the rapid development of technology it could be that the HTML 5 video tag is more widely supported, I do not have a Kindle device to test so I cant say for sure that it will work.

The HTML5 video tag can be directly embedded in an HTML page for delivery with code that like this:

<html>
<head> 
 <title>HTML 5 Test</title> 
</head> 
<body> 
<video width="100%" height="100%" controls="controls" src="http://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/live/myStream/playlist.m3u8">
</video> 
</body> 
</html>

Salvadore