Thread: Memory usage issue with liverepeater origin-edge setup

1. Question Memory usage issue with liverepeater origin-edge setup

Hi all,
    I was using WowzaMediaServer and transcoder Add on for a while, I could get 9*"720p" live streams using Intel QuickSync and 9*"240p" live streams using Intel Cori7 CPU in a single machine. I decided to set up an edge server using "http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php?227-Liverepeater-Quick-Start", I configured the origin and edge server as liveStreamPacketizer and liveStreamRepeater for HTTP streaming. After this configuration, the memory usage of the origin server grew up and then the java process in the edge server has killed automatically. I thought this may solve if I could use the edge server as HTTP packetizer but as a thread in wowza forum mentioned, and I also tried, it's not possible. Could you please guide me how to solve this problem?

You can use the edge to packetize if the increase in cpu utilization is too much for the origin. What problems did you have upon doing that? You'll want to set the origin LiveStreamPacketizers to empty and use the packetizers on the edge.

3. Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by matt_y View Post
    You can use the edge to packetize if the increase in cpu utilization is too much for the origin. What problems did you have upon doing that? You'll want to set the origin LiveStreamPacketizers to empty and use the packetizers on the edge.
    Thanks,
    I did exactly what you said. Setting <livestreampacketizers></livestreampacketizers> part in the origin server empty and try "livestreampacketizer" and also "livestreamrepeater" in the edge server. There is no problem with RTMP play back using the following URL:
    server: rtmp://[edgeIP]:1935/liveedge
    stream: rtmp://[originIP]:1935/live/ch1.stream_720p

but I get the "Error #2032" when attempting to play this stream:
    "http://[edgeIP]:1935/liveedge/ch1.stream_720p/manifest.f4m"
    using Adobe HTTP Player

(Transcoder is set on the origin server.)

4. Smile

Hi,
    I found the answer,
    Setting both origin and edge server stream types in "Application.xml" file as "live", then create content files for each incoming bit rate from the origin server in the edge server (containing the rtmp url of each stream) and configure a "smil" file for each live stream. In this configuration, it is needed to setup the "Startupstream.xml" in the edge server and add every content files created for each stream bit rates to it. The "OriginUrl" in "Application.xml" file in the edge sever, should leave blank.

How can it be done without creating the content files? This setup wouldn't work if you have several dozen edge servers and would require you to change the content files each individual edge. We have setup origin with no packetizers, and setup the edge with packetizers. we are using <OriginURL> function, so we can just have the content files at the origin. We can get RTMP to work, but HLS will not play.

If we setup the packetizer at the origin, everything plays on the edge with no problems.