Thread: 2.5 Datarate

Default 2.5 Datarate

This is for On Demand video

For various reasons I am presently using CBR when i encode and I am not using Multi-BitRate to stream.

I Have been using roughly 900-1500 Kbps and 960x540 and it works well on most devices (web, iphone, ipad) but the picture gets mushy on bigger screens.

If I go with 1280x720 and shoot for 2.5 Datarate will it stream on most devices?

Hi Bob,

This issue is dependant on the performance expectation at the client. Wowza will have no problem serving the stream, provided you have enough network and an adequate server, so you really should perform a set of testing on the devices and players in scope for your project.

2.5 MB is on the high side for mobile. The 900-1500 kbps range is a safer bet, however, you really should consider adaptive bitrate streaming if that is practical for your workflow.

See the article below for help tuning delivery iOS devices. Android serves a much more broad device offering with too many devices to specifically accomodate. Online resources, per device, should be very helpful in planning your mobile workflow.

- How to find Apple iOS device supported profile and level information

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim_d View Post
    Hi Bob,

you really should consider adaptive bitrate streaming if that is practical for your workflow.

-Tim
    thanks, yes i want to but my last research said that JW Player V5 would not do it. My UI is built around JW. Do you know if JW would do it?

Also, I am looking at other players to try and build a new UI around. Any suggestions for JW alternative that does adaptive well?

Bob,

JW will definitely do it. Take a look at this article:

How to use LongTail JW Player with adaptive bitrate streaming from Wowza Media Server

As to other players, take a look at Flowplayer. The integration (IMHO) is a little more advanced, but it's a great alternative.

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim_d View Post
    Bob,

JW will definitely do it. Take a look at this article:

How to use LongTail JW Player with adaptive bitrate streaming from Wowza Media Server

As to other players, take a look at Flowplayer. The integration (IMHO) is a little more advanced, but it's a great alternative.

-Tim
    i will look closer at fp, i have always liked it but support has had issues. looked today like they are making an greater effort on it though.

anyway, i will have to jog my memory but it seems there was a reason we did not use adaptive with jw..

what we are doing is:

one video Path used for RTMP and Wowza-HLS: ms-rtmp/vid.mp4 is used for RTMP
    Wowza-HLS is suffix by '/playlist.m3u8'
    So we can use Apple HLS if we want to but if we dont configure it to be used....for iOS if HTTP HLS is not used, we try to use the Wowza HLS with adaptive bitrate SMIL file. and if it is also not available then the Wowza HLS for this video is use by adding the wowza HTTP prefix and '/playlist.m3u8' suffix so the link will be like http://stream.s15.cpanelservices.com.../playlist.m3u8

does that makes sense?