Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VHosts.xml restart required?

Default VHosts.xml restart required?

I read a thread where you can limit the number of concurrent connections to wowza by altering the VHosts.xml file

In this case, can I just swap out the file or do I have to restart the server or woza? If so , how do I do this without loosing settings etc.
    thanks ( I am newbie)

Mark,

In order to apply changes made in VHost.xml, you will need to restart Wowza. Do you have a particular need or configuration that requires a set of changes? Please add detail and/or explain your workflow objectives so we can offer the best solution.

Thank you,

-Tim

Hi. I just want to start offering Live streaming to select customers.
    The billing is a real difficult thing to work out without knowing bandwidth use. So, I thought I could restrict concurrent connections and charge on the basis of viewers they have paid for upfront.
    This small alteration to the file can protect me from bandwidth unexpected?

Quote Originally Posted by shueardm View Post
    Hi. I just want to start offering Live streaming to select customers. The billing is a real difficult thing to work out without knowing bandwidth use. So, I thought I could restrict concurrent connections and charge on the basis of viewers they have paid for upfront. This small alteration to the file can protect me from bandwidth unexpected?
    I think that would a terrible idea. I would give a fixed price based on expected traffic, then make it clear that if traffics goes above certain thresholds price will increase accordingly.

Might sound harsh but how do you force more money out of someone if they get a surprise?
    Also, how do you prove the amount of viewers and how long they watched. If going by the bandwidth from EC2 it is also impossible to tell.

There are no surprises if you inform your client in advance and they agree to your terms. Often the success of a live transmission is measured in number of viewers, and chances are that this is also the case for your client. You just have to explain that your costs increase proportionally with the amount of traffic.

Connection count and bandwidth usage can be easily monitored, and the customer would probably value such information even if bandwidth consumption doesn't exceed what your offer includes.

I appreciate what you are saying, though it is a bit off topic. As a newbie of sorts, I have yet to see or work out how to get accurate data for bandwidth and connections to a live stream.
    I wouldn't mind some pointers in this direction, regardless, there are some customers who want to protect live video from going viral. For example, the customer's video feed is private information.

Check out WMSpanel.com and CasterStats. Also have a look at Ian Beyers Wowza stats collector with RRD (perl). Sawmill and AWStats can analyze log files when your event is over.

Don't forget that you can use the Data Out metric in cloud watch to see bandwidth usage from your instance.

For private events I would make sure not to publish the link to the player, but just hand it out to the viewers that should have access. This way you will also have a very good idea of how many connections you're going to have. You probably should also look into password protecting the player, maybe combined with IP-filtering.

Thanks very much. I will look into these when I have sorted out some other stuff. I have so much to learn, it's information overload at present.
    Can I ask, when do I need to restart Wowza service, after any config changes?..... and how do I do it in Linux SSH. I see one document that describes two methods, one for standalone and one for Linux service ( what is the difference)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast