Wowza Community

Max concurrent hitting bandwidth limit and dropping connections

I’ve recently used the Load Testing tool and once I hit a bandwidth bottleneck, I’ve noticed that the Wowza server drops existing connections. I’ve also seen this in production. What is the expected behavior if the max bandwidth a server can handle is exceeded? What happens to all existing users on the stream? Will they reconnect automatically? Will the Wowza Service terminate?

Thanks.

Hi,

I’d suggest connecting to the server with a player while your load tests are running. Be one of the load. connect during tests, then connect after hitting the limit.

See what happens when it doesn’t work.

Daren

Hi,

You could basically create a custom module that would calculate the total bandwidth of the streams being played back by the streaming clients. You would need to multiply the bandwidth of the published streams with the number of clients connected to those streams.

You can specify the total allowed bandwidth usage for a Wowza server in a server/vhost property and have your module allow client connections only if the total bandwidth output is less that that particular value you set in the property file.

Zoran

Hi,

You can use the Flash RTMP load test tool.

Zoran

When I load test I keep a browser open with a video player playing the same stream. When reaching maximum throughput the video player will often pause and buffer.

I think this is pretty close to expected behavior.

It would be useful if you could simply deny additional connections when you reach, say 85 % of a server’s throughput capabilities, instead of having all the connections buffer to death.

Just curious, what test tool did you use?

hello