Thread: Which player offers the smoothest bitrate switching?

Default Which player offers the smoothest bitrate switching?

Which player seems to offer the most consistent and most unnoticeable experience when switching between bitrates?

I'm thinking about both dynamic bitrate switching and user initiated bitrate switching.

Without picking a favorite, if you are looking for the best desktop ABR player, Silverlight seems to do this very well and is very reliable.

Salvadore

I'm thinking about browser video players.

In that case JW Player and Flowplayer handle ABR switching very well.

Salvadore

Quote Originally Posted by salvadore View Post
    Without picking a favorite, if you are looking for the best desktop ABR player, Silverlight seems to do this very well and is very reliable.

Salvadore
    Salvadore,

Could you expand upon this, specifically for LIVE feeds (not VOD)? I'm looking for the same thing, consistent and reliable bitrate switching, which seems to be a lot more difficult to find than I anticipated.

I have not found Flowplayer to do this very responsively.

JW Player is more responsive, but I've been going back and forth with support and just got confirmed that RTMP Dynamic on JW Player is NOT dynamic at all. According to support, RTMP Dynamic will only select a bitrate at the start of playback and will not switch DURING playback.

Is there a high quality Silverlight player you could recommend?

JW Player's implementation of RTMP Dynamic Streaming is dynamic, continuous switching as necessary using NetStream.play2(). But they are also doing HLS streaming to the desktop, which uses other mechanisms (server-side smil for renditions to switch between and measuring bitrate by chunk size / duration) to calculate bandwidth and request switching. There are examples in our JW player article

Make sure your streams are key frame aligned. You can use this method to debug alignment.

Richard