Wowza Community

Help needed to re-stream multicast udp streams to RTSP....

Hi All,

I am new to this so please be gentle. I have an existing and fully working system, where i am transmitting rtmp streams across the internet to a wowza 3.6.2 server. I am then publishing them on the LAN and streaming RTSP to 20x Amino A140 STB’s. This is working fine.

Problem is now, the house owner also owns a hotel nearby and i need to add the IPTV streams from there to this system. I have created a VPN between the 2 properties so that they are on the same network. The Hotel IT guy has given me many UDP addresses (example udp://@224.1.2.50:30500) and told me that these are multicasting.

Can someone let me know what it is i need to do, to get Wowza to fetch these streams and re-publish them as RTSP streams so that i can add them to my STB’s?

Thanks in advance.

Bump, Can anyone from Wowza just get me started and point me in the right direction?

I should add that i have created .stream files in my [Install Dir]/content folder and have added the streams to the Startupstream.xml file. I can see the streams trying to start up in the Java output. Currently the VPN and streams provided from the offsite connection are not currently live so i can’t test whether this is enough config to work.

My biggest concern is the UDP URL with the @ symbol included (udp://@…). I do not see this in any of the help files contained in this forum. Also, am I going to need a plug in to re-publish the streams?

All i need is a pointer and confirmation of whether this is possible. Any help appreciated…

Hi,

We have a MPEG-TS based encoder article which explains this in more detail.

The @ symbol is used to play the stream in players such as VLC player and is not needed in the .stream file you’re creating.

Regards,

Jason

Hi,

The conf/StartupStreams.xml file is used when Wowza restarts, this means that you don’t have to manually start each stream in stream manager.

If the Wowza server is already started adding to StartupStreams.xml will not start them for you and you will either have to restart Wowza or start them using stream manager.

The steps you have done this far are correct, if you restart Wowza the streams configured in StartupStreams.xml will continually try to connect so be aware that this will fill up your logs if the streams are not available.

Jason

Hi,

No problem, if you do need further assistance please post again.

Thanks,

Jason

Just to backtrack a little, here are some steps to follow to get you up and running:

1. Create a .stream file with the following contents:

udp://[ip-to-source]:[port-of-source]

1. Place that in your [install-dir]/content directory

2. Start the .stream file in stream manager. Go to

http://[your-wowza-ip]:8086/streammanager

and click on “start receiving stream” next to the intended application name.

1. Set as mediacaster type “rtp” and set stream name to [filename].stream

2. Then you can try to playback via rtmp using our test players with the following:

Server: rtmp://[wowza-ip]:1935/[application]

Stream: [filename].stream

Note: The port range is really only necessary on the client side.

If not successful, try posting your relevant logs here for further review.

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, i have it set correctly? but rather than using the GUI of Wowza 4, i have the same config done in xml?

Will this result simply in the output stream URL as: rtsp://<wowza_IP>:1935/live/<my_stream>.stream

(edit: obviously removing the @ symbol fro the stream files!)

Also, I changed the RTP port range to start at 30000, should i have done this? (i have 51 URLs with 51 ports starting at 30100)…

Hi Matt,

What i did was:

1. created a .stream file of udp://[ip-to-source]:[port-of-source]

2. Placed that in your [install-dir]/content directory

3. Instead of starting stream manager, i added the streams to the StreamStartup.xml in [install-dir]/conf.

I havent got past that as i am waiting for VPNs and site specific network stuff to be completed by others before i can test. Becasue of the complex nature of the network environments, i want to be confident in my config for when i do test and hit issues. Also, as this is an addition to the original spec, i want to be confident that what i need to do is possible.

Are you saying that i was incorrect to edit the startupStreams.xml, and instead, i should have done it via stream manager? i only did it my way because i have 51 udp streams that needed adding and it seemed more logical.

Also, regarding the output URL, i was only curious as to what URL it should be so that i can configure the STB’s whilst waiting for the network config to be completed…

Thansk Jason,

Thats what i wanted to hear! thanks to you and Matt for your help. Hopefully it will just ‘work’ and i wont need further assitance!

Hello,

In this case it might be best to enable the RTSP extra debugging property in your Application.xml file. After restarting your Application please attempt to connect with the stream file again. Then open a new ticket with the Support Team and attach a zipped copy of your current conf/ and logs/ folders to this ticket for review.

Best regards,

Andrew

Dear Wowza team,

I have the problem when connection the udp stream to my server :

I have created In Applications-> Add Stream file udp://239.255.0.169:5500 -> published it (Connect to default application instance: definst, rtp).

In incoming Streams it shows

Stream Uptime

xxx.stream up since 16 May 2016 05:40:16 PM

xxx.stream up for about a few seconds

Network Throughput

Bytes In: 1316 @ 1.010 Kbits/s

Bytes Out: 0 @ 0.000 bits/s

but the Network Throughput is escalation from to not more then 200 Kbits/s and the video of live stream is not playing but in test player it was black screen and xxx.stream is now published.

Please help to resolve the problem .

FYI in VLC the stream is played normally.