Wowza Community

You would think Wowza could do a half decent VOD themselves

http://www.wowza.com/products/streaming-engine/demo

What a poor implementation of their own product. Over a number of days I can not get this video playing with nice resolution or smooth playback. It also seems to hop, skip and jump randomly.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to look at our demo presentation and to raise your current problems.

Viewing a high resolution / high bitrate video stream requires a decent amount of network bandwidth availability. It is possible that your current internet provider does provide the necessary internet bandwidth to you directly, but between your ISP and the Wowza server hosting the demo video there might be some network bottlenecks that would cause problems in viewing the high bitrate video.

We are trying to satisfy all network constraints, and we provide different versions of the same video, using lower bitrates as well.

The second problem you have noticed, about the random “hop, skip and jump”, is something that we will look into and fix if possible.

Thanks again for taking the time to help us improve.

Zoran

Both the product video and the sample streams are playing perfectly for me. Europe.

dont have any problems with watching the video here. (location: netherlands). i can play every bitrate without any problems.

Hi. There is no issue on my end. Your video is either poorly encoded, not key aligned or something like that, or it’s playing from an overloaded server, from the US to Australia might be a problem… I see the embed is HLS…with JW PLayer Pro followed by mp4 fallback. So when i view in Flash, I am getting HLS… this HLS encodeis wrong, there is something wrong

I get very poor playback experience of this video.

From memory last time I looked (unless i am going crazy) there was no bitrate selection in the player, now there is, maybe they fixed it.

regardless, when I play the streams individually, I am not getting good throughput from even the 360P version, which by the manifest is only BANDWIDTH=1048000 - I should be able to play that on a 6Mb/s connection.

I think

1. The bit rates are probably too high for the resolution to start with and perhaps also

2. Not hosted on a CDN, coming from a single server in US ?

When in auto mode, the playback is poor here in australia, constantly switching between 176P and 240P, this is what I think I meant by the skipping, just the adapting to bitrates. The 176P version has does not look good.