Wowza Community

Unusual Total Memory Usage

I have been running with Wowza 4.0 on 3 servers, all are identical hardware and in configuration except for one. It uses one HTTP Origin stream and also has a locally hosted VOD unlike the others. It has been using an unusual amount of RAM it seems to me, but 4.0 is a new setup so not sure if I am worried over nothing. I don’t have many people streaming (18 total) and yet have 90% on the graph under “Total Memory”. It has been tuned to Production as instructed.

Hi,

This issue is currently being handled in a support ticket (81740).

More information will be posted when this issue is resolved.

Jason

Jose,

Is this one of the pre-built Wowza AMIs? Which one?

Richard

Looks like the issue was a .jar file in the ./lib directory to provide statistics. It worked great with Wowza 3 but needs to be updated for 4. I had thought that might be it and removed the ./application directory that loaded it but the problem didn’t go away till the file was removed. Memory is normal again and comparable with the other servers.

Alan

I have the same issue on newly installed 4.0.4.

As a result Engine Manager is very slow and on every second or third request returns error like this: Sorry there was an error getting to (server/vhostperformance/ports/view.htm)::404

All memory is used by Java:

free -m

total used free shared buffers cached

Mem: 16040 15960 80 0 94 14383

-/+ buffers/cache: 1482 14558

Swap: 14015 0 14015

ps aux

root 4162 0.0 0.0 65948 1232 ? S Jun25 0:00 /bin/bash /usr/bin/WowzaStreamingEngined /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/bin/setenv.sh /var/run/WowzaStreamingEngine.pid start

root 4613 0.0 0.0 65948 1232 ? S Jun25 0:00 /bin/bash /usr/bin/WowzaStreamingEngineManagerd /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager/bin/setmgrenv.sh /var/run/WowzaStreamingEngineManager.pid start

root 4620 0.1 2.3 4918548 377932 ? Sl Jun25 0:49 java -Dcom.wowza.wms.ConfigURL="" -Dcom.wowza.wms.ConfigHome=/usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager -Djava.io.tmpdir=/usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager/temp -Dlog4j.configuration=file:///usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager/conf/winstone.properties -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -jar /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager/lib/wms-winstone-1.0.5-boot.jar --prefix=/enginemanager --defaultWebApp=/enginemanager --tempDirectory=/usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager/temp --webroot=/usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager/temp --warfile=/usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager/lib/WMSManager.war --httpPort=8088 --ajp13Port=-1 --directoryListings=false > /dev/null

root 5628 13.8 5.2 11912548 862332 ? Sl 09:19 2:48 java -Xmx10000M -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:NewSize=512m -server -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote=true -Dcom.wowza.wms.runmode=service -Dcom.wowza.wms.native.base=linux -Dcom.wowza.wms.AppHome=/usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine -Dcom.wowza.wms.ConfigURL= -Dcom.wowza.wms.ConfigHome=/usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine -cp /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/bin/wms-bootstrap.jar com.wowza.wms.bootstrap.Bootstrap start

I solved memory issue by playing with performance settings.

Unfortunately that did not solve terrible performance of Engine Manager.

Hi,

If that’s what you are seeing in the Manager UI graphs, it may not necessarily be a true representation of the actual memory usage.

You should take a closer look at the memory representation in Linux tools, such as ‘top’, which will break down the memory usage and represent

it as something more meaningful.

Daren

Hi,

What heap size do you currently have defined? Look in the Manager under 'Server->Performance Tuning->Java Settings->Java Heap Size.

Would you also post your output from top and also the command: free -m

Daren

I think what you are seeing is normal.

On a linux server, the Total Memory bar in the graph also includes memory that is being used for OS level caching and network buffers. This memory is released automatically by the OS when required so can be considered as free memory however, Wowza has no way of separating the actual free memory from the cached memory so will always report higher than actual values for Total Memory.

This page, http://www.linuxnix.com/2013/05/find…linuxunix.html describes how to interpret the results for the free command.

Daren

Hi Alan,

Please can you provide more information with regards to this issue and how it was resolved, as it will benefit other users.

Wowza 3 did not have a statistics module. The .Jar file which records statistics, was this a custom Module in your configuration?

As much detail as possible will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Hi,

Please note that Total Memory is referring to the memory of the entire server, the memory Wowza is using is the Wowza Heap which is low.

You could try getting a process output and see what processes are running on the server.

What OS are you using on the server?

Under Linux if you access a file then it will store some/all of it in memory if it is available to do so, only when memory is needed it removes it.

For example

:       total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem: 10225612    5122476    5103136          0     157464    4525664
-/+ buffers/cache:     439348    9786264
Swap:      2097148      66828    2030320

You can see here that 4525664 is used as cached space.

As this is being used Wowza will show this in the Total Memory as used.

Jason

Hi,

To troubleshoot this issue further, please open a ticket by sending an email to support@wowza.com.

Include a description of the issue, a link to this thread for reference and a zipped copy of the following directories.

[Wowza-Install]/conf/

[Wowza-Install]/logs/

[Wowza-Install]/transcoder/

[Wowza-Install]/manager/logs/

Regards,

Jason

I created a new Amazon AMI wowza 4.0.

With no streaming at all total memory shows as 60%. Am I to understand this is natural and won’t effect performance of streaming?

Chris

hi i also have issua with memory usage.i have used top in ssh and it is giving me correct feedback 12gb total memory 10 gb used and this corresponds to 80% in the engine manager so it is correct.surely java is malfunctioning if it is using this much memory?

Hi,

What heap size do you currently have defined? Look in the Manager under 'Server->Performance Tuning->Java Settings->Java Heap Size.

Would you also post your output from top and also the command: free -m

Daren

Java Heap Size

Production level 8248 MB

top command results:-

VIRT RES SHR CPU MEM

10.9G 8.3frG 11M S 28.3 71.7 JAVA

the cpu fluctuates alot but averages around the 23 mark

free -m results:-

total used free shared buffers cached

MEM: 11783 11607 176 0 128 1897

-/+BUFFERS/CACHE: 9581 2201

SWAP: 4095 2 4093

Hi, I have the same issue but in this case i have no user connected. I have an amazon ec2 server.

How did you solve it?

Thank you so much,

Jose

Jose,

Is this one of the pre-built Wowza AMIs? Which one?

Richard

Yes, it is c1.xlarge instance.

Thank you,

Jose

I’m under Linux and this is my memory:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       7118660    6298220     820440          0     188532    4436340
-/+ buffers/cache:    1673348    5445312
Swap:            0          0          0

So most memory is cached memory, and when memory is needed Linux removes it, right?

Thank you so much,

Jose

Hey,

I have the same problem. One EC2 instance m3.large (ami-574ae54a) with Wowza Streaming Engine 4.0.4. The memory usage just grows even when the number of connections drops. Now it’s is 80 % and keep growing. Does anyone know what can be?

P.S: used two Applications one rtp-live and other live with about 150 streams. I see that same without connections the memory usage is growing in another instance with similar configurations.