Thread: How to accurately measure latency or delay from transcoder input to output

Default How to accurately measure latency or delay from transcoder input to output

Hi Guys,

Is there a procedure on how to accurately test latency/delay on wowza transcoder addon? Maybe something that I can enable in the logs or API to make wowza log the time from the frame being decoded to the final transcoded output?

Regards,

Ferdinand

Ferdinand,

I am not aware of a technial tool that will fulfill your request. That is not to say one does not exist.

For a live workflow, with access to the broadcast venue, I would use a visual and an audio cue and a stopwatch to make rough measurements. Understandably, when dealing with remote clients, this is not practical, however, a simple approach like this should do the trick.

I am very interested if anyone else has more information on this.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

I was looking at the API documentation and I have found 2 API that might do the trick (ITranscoderVideoEncoderNotify and ITranscoderVideoDecoderNotify). But I'm still looking at how can I use this listener or to what should I attach it to. Would you happen to have any info on this 2 Notifiers? or an example on how to use it perhaps?

Regards,

Ferdinand

Ferdinand,

You might use the log files to compare with and without Transcoding. That would be the easiest.

Richard