Wowza Community

Wowza Streaming Server Hardware Specifications

Hello Experts,

One of the my customers is asking for recommendations on Hardware Specifications.

Here is what I have recommended.

http://www.wowza.com/products/streaming-engine/specifications

Minimum recommended production hardware

CPU: Single Quad Core, 3.00 GHz or better

RAM: 4GB

Disk: 2 or more in RAID 0 (striping)

Network: 1Gbps Ethernet

High-load recommended production hardware

CPU: Dual Quad-Core or a single Hex-Core, 3.00 GHz or better

RAM: 16-32GB

Disk: 2 or more in RAID 0 (striping)

Network: 10Gbps Ethernet

However, the customer would like to know if the following suits the requirements.

Processor Number–> E5-2660V2

of Cores --> 10

of Threads --> 20

Clock Speed --> 2.2 GHz

Max Turbo Frequency --> 3 GHz

The following is the justification.

High-load recommended production hardware:

CPU: Dual Quad-Core or a single Hex-Core, 3.00 GHz or better ( 20 cores in lieu of 4 or 6 cores requested & has 25 MB Cache)

RAM: 16-32GB (128 Gb RAM)

Disk: 2 or more in RAID 0 (striping) ( Raid controller has the option for RAID 0, 1, 5, 6 )

Network: 10Gbps Ethernet

Now, my question is if the Clock Speed is at 2.2 Ghz, will there be any constrains from the streaming perspective?

Regards

~Newton

Newton,

It sounds like a robust server. You can use the load test tool to test it. The limiting factor is usually bandwidth.

Richard

I think you should contact some expert IT Hardware Support professional as your requirements for the server are very high. They have a very good knowledge and experience in the field of server hardware support. They will provide you a good solution.

Dear Support,

I would like to know specification for server CPU RAM HDD graphic card , customer need 1 channel LIVE at 1080P 30 frams bandwidth 6 - 7 Mbps , support 800 -1000 users concurrent.

BR,

Pound

You can use any newer Quad/Six/Eight-Core, like Intel i7 or AMD Ryzen 5/7 with 16-32GB RAM. Transcoding (720/480/360/240p) may be also not a Problem with this 1 Stream. Important for you is the Network-Bandwidth. This should be a dedicated 10Gbit Connection.