Wowza Community

Application name in RTSP URL, is it mandatory in 4.x

Hi Experts,

Can we use a RTSP url without live application name.

We have an encoder application which does RTSP handshake with Wowza at time of saving Wowza configuration(user name,password,application directory etc) into DB for later use. Our application currently send ANNOUNCE with RTSP url in below format

rtsp://[wowza-address]:1935/[stream-name]

This was working fine till wowza 3.5.2 version but it failed with 4.x version with “403 Forbidden” from Wowza in response to ANNOUNCE. if i add application name in url as below then it works fine.

rtsp://[wowza-address]:1935/[app-name]/[stream-name]

Is this a behavior change in 4.x from earlier releases.

Thanks

Sachin

Sachin,

I don’t think RTSP announce without application name in the url could have worked in any version of Wowza. As far as I know it has always been required.

Richard

Try creating an application named “defapp” by adding a folder of that name to [install-dir]/applications. Then you will be able to connect at least with your URL

Maybe you had that application in place before?

Richard

Thanks Richard for clarifying.

Let me share some more details.

In current implementation at the time of saving Wowza configuration into our DB, we send ANNOUNCE message to Wowza(upto 3.5.2) without application name which is working fine. Wowza respond with 200 OK and we continue this session with digest information etc and after few more message exchange, we teardown this RTSP session and store wowza information into DB. In this session we dont send any media to wowza. It is more of a configuration validation session. This is not working with wowza 4.0 without application name. One difference i can see is, in wowza 4.0 both live and vod applications are pre-configured while wowza 3.5.2 has only vod application pre-configured.

At the time of actual live session(irrespective of wowza version, our encoder always use application name.

It seems using application name is correct way of validating configurations.