Wowza Community

SMIL gemeration

I was under the impression W4 created SMIL files automatically?

When I add a smil it asks me to add streams. This is where I was hoping the streams would be automatically added from the setup of the transcoder… not so? So I have to look up and copy all details of the streams from the transrate template?

For live streams the Wowza Transcoder creates an ngrp(Stream Name Group) for ABR streaming. This section of the Transcoder guide explains:

Adaptive bitrate streaming with StreamNameGroups

Salvadore

Yes, you just enable the packetizers you want to use as shown in this guide

<LiveStreamPacketizers>cupertinostreamingpacketizer, smoothstreamingpacketizer, sanjosestreamingpacketizer, mpegdashstreamingpacketizer, mpegdashstreamingrepeater</LiveStreamPacketizers>

This guide will also show you the proper playback URL form for each type of HTTP streaming.

Richard

If you are using the Wowza Transcoder, and your clients are connecting to the Wowza server that transcoding, using StreamNameGroups, as described in the Transcoder guide. You do not have to create a smil file in this case, what the player gets from Wowza is the same thing, generically called a MediaList.

If you are using Live stream repeater where your playback clients are streaming from edge servers, then you must put a smil file on each edge, and Wowza does provide a way to automate the creation of this smil file, following this guide

You may need to modify the created smil for the .stream names you are using on the edge, but the codec and bitrate info will be populated for you.

Richard

Sorry, I can’t see where it says anything about manifest creation. Is it automatic?

I am sorry I am not getting it.

I have created an application. I have set up transcoder.

I want to create a SMIL and have set the name. Then I need to add a smil stream, so I try. The next screen shows me options to enter like “source” “system bitrate” “width” etc. I though this would be populated by the settings in the transcoder.