Wowza Community

Adobe HDS over port 80

We’re using adaptive bitrate streaming with JWPlayer. We have it setup to use HDS first, then fallback to HLS, then fallback to progressive download. Everything is working great, but I noticed that even though our ULR for HDS streaming is like this:

http://:80/ApplicationName/definst/smil:2013/1358-lawrence_solo/1358-lawrence_solo.smil/jwplayer.smil

The actual request for the media file is using rtmp, like this and is going over port 1935:

rtmp:///ApplicationName/definst/2013/1358-lawrence_solo/1358-chaosmen_lawrence_1280.HD.mp4

I want all the traffic going over port 80, so I went in to vhost.xml and removed port 1935 from the list and left only port 80. Now, videos take like 20 seconds to start whereas before they would start in under 2 seconds. Once they’re playing everything works great, but that start time is unacceptable. I don’t see anything weird in the logs.

Why is it doing this? Can I force HDS to go over port 80 and get the same performance as port 1935? (not sure why the port would matter).

Thanks,

Sean

Little more info:

I just looked at the resulting smil file that is served back to the player from wowza and here’s what it looks like (I replaced the actual URL with dummy data):

Hi Sean,

Do you have any other service onboard that may be vying for priority on port 80? Perhaps a web server or other app? Typically, Wowza will log a bind error at startup, however, I thought to check on this regardless.

Does this improve when you append :80 to your RTMP base URL in your SMIL file?

-Tim

Hi Tim,

No, nothing else running on port 80 on the IP I’m using for wowza. The HLS streaming works fine and starts pretty quick on that same IP over port 80.

Regarding the SMIL file. The one I pasted above is what wowza serves when this URL is requested (notice the jwplayer.smil at the end):

http://:80/ApplicationName/definst/smil:2013/1358-lawrence_solo/1358-lawrence_solo.smil/jwplayer.smil

The actual smil file (1358-lawrence_solo.smil) looks like this: