Wowza Community

Wowza Streaming Engine on EC2 no more c1.medium

I went to launch a Wowza Streaming Engine 4 instance on Amazon EC2 and there is no longer a choice for a c1.medium instance.

I thought the c1.medium had the most throughput for the money at 950Mb/sec so I’m surprised it is no longer an option.

Did anyone else notice this?

c1.medium is still there for me. Maybe not in the location you chose? I was looking at Sydney

I use c3.2x large it has 950Mb/s + on speedtest.net too

I assume (from terminology) you are using the Marketplace AMIs (rather than the devpay/licKey AMIs)

The instance types listed are what is available for the pre-built Wowza servers at this time, though these are under review and may change. If you want to use an instance type that is not listed you can still start one and install Wowza as you would any server.

I’ve reviewed the EC2 instance types recently, and I think the m3.medium may be the better value for throughput than the c1.medium. It is a little cheaper and rated the same for network throughput: “moderate”. And throughput is the usual limiting factor, so that is the right metric to consider for value.

Richard

I would try the m3.medium

Richard

Are you checking for your c1 while in the process of launching the AMI Wowza Streaming Engine 4 BYOL? To be clear, the c1.medium option is there when I am launching any generic AMI but when using the official Wowza Streaming Engine 4 Bring Your Own License AMI I do not see the c1.medium anymore. The only “c” options are c3’s. I will check a few other zones now to see what’s up.

yes I was using the link from the BYO AMI page https://www.wowza.com/docs/pre-built-amis-amazon-machine-images

Sydney

Using the link from your page I was offered the c1.medium option in my region. Thanks!!

I’m going to also use an m3.medium as one of my edge servers to see how they compare. Furthermore, I want to test the c3.large as that looks promising for the $$.

As always, thanks to everyone for the help.

tom

yes I was using the link from the BYO AMI page https://www.wowza.com/docs/pre-built-amis-amazon-machine-images

Sydney