Thread: Testing Load Balancing Add On

Default Testing Load Balancing Add On

I have implemented Dyanamic Load Balancing Add On in wowza streaming engine trail version. I have some queries regarding testing the load balancing mechanism.

1. Can we test the load balancing scenario in wowza trail version?. If yes, how can i do it?
    2. How to simulate the high load for testing this scenario?
    3. How to set the threshold value for redirecting the streaming request to the redirect ip address?

Hello,

You can test the Load Balancing addon using the Trial license, but you will not be able to generate high load because the Trial license has a 10 streaming connections limitation.

You can emulate streaming clients and generate load on a streaming server by using the RTMP Load test tool. You can request this tool using the instructions described here: http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....Load-Test-Tool

You have the possibility to have the load balancer stop sending client connection to a server that has reached a certain connections threshold. Please take a look at the following forum article: How to stop load balancer redirects when the edge server limit has been reached (ModuleLoadBalancerEdgeLimitConnections)

Zoran

I am in a similar scenario. I have set up an origin and two edge servers. I have set up a test tool server using a trial license. I have added the load balancer add-on and I can query the origin (load balancer) and it will return one of the two edge servers. However, when I place load on the origin using the load test tool, the origin absorbs or serves the load and I never see the edges receive any traffic/stream requests.

1) Is this the proper test scenario?
    2) Where should I look for the issue if it is? Test tool logs? Origin Wowza logs? Edge Wowza logs?

Thanks,
    David Lee
    Clemson University

David,

The load test tool is not designed to work with the Live Repeater (origin/edge). You want to test an edge, so make an edge the server you are load testing. The load test client will generate playback load on that edge. You can publish a live stream to that edge or start an origin stream and use that in the test. This should give you a general idea what that edge can handle.

Richard