Thread: quicksync transcoding throws error: Mfx_err_device_failed

Default quicksync transcoding throws error: Mfx_err_device_failed

Hi,
    i created a transcoder configuration on my main /live/ application, i'm trying to transcode a 720p signal into:

240p @300kbps
    360p @650kbps
    576p @1.500kbps

I am using QuickSync as driver on a Ubuntu Server with:
    CPU: Intel i7 4770, GPU: Intel HD 4600

I get an error each time i try to start on ONLY one of the streams, at random, the error is:

INFO server comment - JNI:TranscoderSession.videoEncoderAdd[_defaultVHost_:live/_definst_/live:240p]: Create video encoder: H.264: QuickSync
    INFO server comment - JNI:VideoEncoderH264QuickSyncHost.createDone[_defaultVHost_:live/_definst_/live:240p]: Loading shared library: /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/lib-native/linux64/libwms-vencoder-h264-quicksync-drm.so
    WARN server comment - JNI:VideoEncoderH264QuickSyncHost[_defaultVHost_:live/_definst_/live:240p]: QuickSync: Init encoder failed [MFX_ERR_DEVICE_FAILED]
    WARN server comment - TranscoderWorkerVideoEncoder.setupEncoder[_defaultVHost_:live/_definst_/live:240p]: Error videoEncoderInitialize[H264]: 4293853206
    the other two streams are working perfectly.

I tried changing config several times but no joy, the weird thing is that if i remove one of the streams i get the error anyways, i even tried only keeping one and it gives the error!
    If i try to transcode using two quicksync and one default it works.
    Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by joyrex; 03-24-2014 at 04:33 AM.

Reference ticket #85926

Hello, we are on Windows 7 and also getting this error. Was there a solution to this issue?

Hi,
    A new ticket has recently been opened for this issue which is also running Windows 7 operating system (104179).

If this was not you, please open a ticket by sending an email to support@wowza.com.
    When opening a ticket, please include a ZIP file containing the following directories:
    [Wowza-Install]/conf/
    [Wowza-Install]/logs/
    [Wowza-Install]/transcoder/
    [Wowza-Install]/manager/logs/

Please make sure you provide logs which show Wowza server starting.

If you are not sure how to get this information please see the following tutorial.
    How to create a compressed zip file in Windows, OS X, and Linux

- If you have a live stream please outline the type of encoder in use along with the encoding settings for the stream.
    - If you are using a .stream file to start re-streaming please provide this.
    - If you are using multiple bitrates (ABR) then please provide the SMIL file associated with your configuration.

I will try to provide an update to this thread once the ticket is resolved.

Regards,
    Jason