Wowza Community

4.0.1 install problem

Uninstalled 3.x, installed 4.0.1 and the installation root and it’s child directories were created, but 1 hour later the install dialog still says ‘Creating the Wowza Streaming Engine services.’ I don’t see a logs folder so I’m not sure what is happening. I’m running Windows Server 2012 R2. This is obviously a busted install. What should I do now?

This is an issue we have seen, in fact it happened to me when I was installing Wowza recently on Windows 7 machine. As far as I know the problem has not been tracked down exactly.

In my experience, I found Wowza Engine listed in the Add/Remove Programs MMC, but it would not work to uninstall, Windows complained that Wowza was not installed. So I just removed the files that had been installed, then rebooted the machine, then installed again, which worked. I would also uninstall previous versions before you reboot.

Richard

Thanks for the update. Glad it’s working

Richard

Hi,

The best thing to do is try to start in standalone mode, to see if you can see what the problem is in the console.

To run standalone open a command prompt window and change directory to [install-dir]/bin

Then type: startup.bat You should see everything reported while it attempts to start. You may see errors,

which you should report here, or it may just startup without error messages.

If it starts up cleanly, this may indicate a problem with the windows service entry itself.

Daren

I followed your example and was able to get it installed, and the manager service started but the streaming engine service did not start and won’t stay started. I don’t see any log files in the log folder so I have no idea why it won’t start. Any help?

Thanks, that helped get more information. It looks like I’m missing the server jre. I currently have the jre7, the server files come with the jdk. Do I just copy the jdk directory to the Java directory? Do I need an additional environment variable?

Error: missing server' JVM at C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\server\jvm.

dll’.

I think I got it running. I added the jdk to the Java directory and repointed the JAVA_HOME to the child jre directory in the jdk. The engine service starts now. Thanks.