Wowza Community

Streaming Engine won't start up

I’m trying to run it locally on my mac and I get this in the terminal window when trying to start the standalone. It’s not like I haven’t been able to start this in the past but it doesn’t work now and I haven’t touched anything since last time it ran:

cd /Library/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager/bin;./startmgr.sh;exit

Sun, 30 Mar 2014 16:57:16 397 GMT, BootStrap Info: Home Directory=/Library/WowzaStreamingEngine-4.0.1/manager/lib

Sun, 30 Mar 2014 16:57:16 408 GMT, BootStrap Info: Main-Class=net.winstone.Winstone

2014-03-30 09:57:16,494 [main] INFO net.winstone.boot.BootStrap - stage 1/3: Loading arguments…

2014-03-30 09:57:16,495 [main] INFO net.winstone.boot.BootStrap - stage 2/3: Loading WebApplication configuration…

2014-03-30 09:57:16,495 [main] INFO net.winstone.boot.BootStrap - stage 3/3: compute JSP classpath…

2014-03-30 09:57:16,555 [main] INFO net.winstone.core.HostConfiguration - Beginning extraction from war file

2014-03-30 09:57:16,572 [main] INFO net.winstone.core.WebXmlParser - Found and enabled the local Servlet 2.5 XSD replacement

2014-03-30 09:57:16,873 [main] WARN net.winstone.core.WebXmlParser - XML Error (Line 2): Document is invalid: no grammar found.

2014-03-30 09:57:16,874 [main] WARN net.winstone.core.WebXmlParser - XML Error (Line 2): Document root element “web-app”, must match DOCTYPE root “null”.

2014-03-30 09:57:16,981 [main] INFO net.winstone.core.WebAppConfiguration - Access logging disabled - no logger class defined

Configure logging: file:///Library/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager/conf/log4j.properties

2014-03-30 09:57:17,069 [main] INFO net.winstone.core.WebAppConfiguration - webapp Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext

SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.

SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/Library/WowzaStreamingEngine-4.0.1/manager/lib/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.6.4.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]

SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/Library/WowzaStreamingEngine-4.0.1/manager/temp/WEB-INF/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.6.4.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]

SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.

INFO org.hibernate.validator.util.Version Hibernate Validator null

INFO com.wowza.wms.server.ManagerConfiguration Loading configuration from /Library/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager/conf/Manager.xml:

INFO com.wowza.wms.server.ManagerConfiguration Loading configuration from /Library/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager/conf/Manager.xml:

INFO com.wowza.wms.webapp.RequestLoggingFilter RequestLoggingFilter disabled, no HTTP requests will be logged:

2014-03-30 09:57:18,940 [main] INFO net.winstone.core.WebAppConfiguration - webapp Initializing Spring FrameworkServlet ‘wowzaapp’

Mar 30, 2014 9:57:19 AM org.apache.jasper.EmbeddedServletOptions

WARNING: Warning: Invalid value for the initParam fork. Will use the default value of “true”

2014-03-30 09:57:19,575 [main] INFO net.winstone.core.HostConfiguration - Deploy web application: prefix webroot

2014-03-30 09:57:19,588 [main] INFO net.winstone.core.listener.HttpListener - HTTP Listener started: port=8088

2014-03-30 09:57:19,592 [main] ERROR net.winstone.Server - Error during listener startup net.winstone.core.listener.Ajp13Listener

java.io.IOException: Failed to listen on port 1

at net.winstone.core.listener.Ajp13Listener.start(Ajp13Listener.java:92)

at net.winstone.Server.spawnListener(Server.java:345)

at net.winstone.Server.initializeListener(Server.java:196)

at net.winstone.Server.initialize(Server.java:123)

at net.winstone.Server.start(Server.java:106)

at net.winstone.Winstone.main(Winstone.java:25)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at org.intelligentsia.keystone.boot.BootStrap.invokeMain(BootStrap.java:382)

at org.intelligentsia.keystone.boot.BootStrap.main(BootStrap.java:232)

Caused by: java.net.BindException: Permission denied

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(PlainSocketImpl.java:521)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:414)

at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:326)

at java.net.ServerSocket.(ServerSocket.java:192)

at java.net.ServerSocket.(ServerSocket.java:148)

at net.winstone.core.listener.Ajp13Listener.start(Ajp13Listener.java:90)

… 11 more

2014-03-30 09:57:19,596 [main] INFO net.winstone.core.WebAppConfiguration - webapp Destroying Spring FrameworkServlet ‘wowzaapp’

2014-03-30 09:57:19,602 [main] INFO net.winstone.core.WebAppConfiguration - webapp Closing Spring root WebApplicationContext

Sun, 30 Mar 2014 16:57:19 643 GMT, BootStrap Warning: class ‘net.winstone.Winstone’, exception occur when invoking ‘main’ method : null

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at org.intelligentsia.keystone.boot.BootStrap.invokeMain(BootStrap.java:382)

at org.intelligentsia.keystone.boot.BootStrap.main(BootStrap.java:232)

Caused by: net.winstone.WinstoneException: Server.initialize

at net.winstone.Server.initialize(Server.java:136)

at net.winstone.Server.start(Server.java:106)

at net.winstone.Winstone.main(Winstone.java:25)

… 6 more

Sun, 30 Mar 2014 16:57:19 644 GMT, BootStrap Info: Exit

Sorry, forgot to note that running Wowza in “services” mode, works ok. Just standalone is a problem.

While it runs now, I’m getting multiple errors about the log files not being able to be accessed. Permission denied. The server manager terminal window is full of these. But it runs… So it’s getting there!

Hi Graeme,

The reason that you are getting this error is because you are trying to start the manager as the regular logged in user. The 4.0.1 startmgr.sh script (that is called from startMgr.term) needs to be run as root user.

In 4.0.0, The underlying server that runs the manager service was also binding to port 8009 for something that was not required. In 4.0.1, it was supposed to be disabled but instead, it was inadvertently set to bind to port 1 which meant the service needs to run as root.

This has been fixed in 4.0.3 and updating to that version should fix the issue.

Roger.

Hi Graeme,

The original log files would have been created by the root user so you will need to change ownership on these so the user running Wowza can access them. You may also have the same issues with any files or folders that were created by the root user when running as a service.

The issue you may come across is that if you do run the services and they create new log files or application configuration files then it will do so as the user the service is set to run as (root). Later, running in standalone as a regular user, you will have the same issue if needing to change these files.

What I would suggest, if this is a development environment, is to edit the service plist files (in /Library/LaunchDaemons/) and set the user that the service should run as. This way, the services and standalone modes should run as the same user.

The other option is to start standalone mode using sudo which will then have them run as root user. If you are running from the IDE though, you may not be able to do this though.

Roger.

Hi Graeme,

Just to let you know, we now have an updated article about running Wowza Streaming Engine as a user other than the root user.

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-run-wowza-streaming-engine-as-a-named-user-linux-and-os-x.

Roger.

Carlos, please make sure you are running Wowza as root.

And take a look at this guide for starting and stopping Wowza Streaming Engine and Wowza Streaming Engine Manager:

How to start and stop Wowza Streaming Engine software

I hope this helps.

Salvadore

Hello,

I upgraded today from 3.xx version to 4.1.2 version and it seems that everything went ok and it tells me to access streaming Engine manager via Webpage but i cant :frowning: this is what is telling me.

To access Wowza Streaming Engine Manager, go to http://localhost:8088/enginemanager in a web

browser.

[root@216-55-141-60 local]# ls

bin games lib libexec psa sbin src WowzaMediaServer-3.6.4 WowzaStreamingEngine-

4.1.2 WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.2.rpm.bin

etc include lib64 platform sb share WowzaMediaServer WowzaStreamingEngine

WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.2.noarch.rpm

[root@216-55-141-60 local]#

Carlos,