Wowza Community

Create Application through server side API

Is there any API available to create applications (live, void)?

This is not supported within the API any longer. You can create this manually by setting up the appropriate folders within the install or via the UI accordingly.

No, you don’t have to re-start Wowza after adding a new application. It will be immediately available.

Richard

You really don’t, and I checked to be 100% sure that nothing has changed in Wowza Engine. You can create an empty folder named “testvod” to the [install-dir]/applications and use testvod immediately for simple video on demand streaming.

However, the Manager will not list this application on the Application page, so you can’t modify it through the manager. At least at present, you have to create applications with the Manager to be able to modify them in the Manager… Actually you just have to restart Wowza Engine and Manager.

Richard

If, perhaps, you are using .stream files, and adding them to StartUpStreams as part of your work-flow, you would then have to re-start Wowza, because StartUpStreams starts these streams when Wowza starts. You can start a single stream without adding to StartUpStreams and re-starting. If the live source is an RTMP live encoder (like Wirecast or a Flash app used as encoder) then you don’t have to re-start Wowza to start streaming with a newly created application.

Richard

As an update and correction, in my tests, after you add an application manually, you have to re-start Wowza Engine and the Wowza Manager for the new app to appear in the Manager. It will be listed under “Other Apps” unless you modify the Application.xml /AppType and make that “VOD” or “LIVE”, as appropriate.

Richard

The current version of the scheduler can be configured by application, and the schedule for an application can be reloaded.

And the basic API behind the scheduler might be useful to you.

Richard

The current scheduler supports one scheduler per application, but it can have many streams defined in that schedule. It is Wowza that reads the smil file, creating server-side streams. The source of these server-side (Stream class) streams can be a file, or another live stream.

Richard

Once I set up appropriate folders within the install, do I need to restart the server?

No, you don’t have to re-start Wowza after adding a new application. It will be immediately available.

Richard

I can see that you need to restart wowza once you manually create the folders within the install.

You really don’t, and I checked to be 100% sure that nothing has changed in Wowza Engine. You can create an empty folder named “testvod” to the [install-dir]/applications and use testvod immediately for simple video on demand streaming.

However, the Manager will not list this application on the Application page, so you can’t modify it through the manager. At least at present, you have to create applications with the Manager to be able to modify them in the Manager.

Richard

I am trying to setup live video streaming by creating the folders within the install. I found that it requires a restart of the server for the playback.

If, perhaps, you are using .stream files, and adding them to StartUpStreams as part of your work-flow, you would then have to re-start Wowza, because StartUpStreams starts these streams when Wowza starts. You can start a single stream without adding to StartUpStreams and re-startingtio. If the live source is an RTMP live encoder (like Wirecast or a Flash app used as encoder) then you don’t have to re-start Wowza to start streaming with a newly created application.

Richard

I am using streamPublisher add-on module to work like a TV station. Is there any way I can create live stream application through the server-side API without server restart. I want the customers to create live application once they signup. Server restarts will be costly affair since there may be many connected clients.

Can I use multiple smil files for the ‘live’ application i.e. each stream should read it’s own smil file instead of a common smil file?