Thread: WowzaStreamingEngineManager as a non root user

Default WowzaStreamingEngineManager as a non root user

Hi all,

Is it possible to run the WowzaStreamingEngineManager service as a non root user?

I have tried editing /etc/init.d/WowzaStreamingEngineManager and placing sudo -u user in front of $WMSMGRDAEMON_CMD in the start section.

These errors appeared in the log when attempting to start and the service start command did not return:
    /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager/bin/startmgr.sh: line 17: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
    /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager/bin/startmgr.sh: line 54: /var/run/WowzaStreamingEngineManager.pid: Permission denied

I guess more modifications could be made to resolve these two issues. Are there instructions available for running WowzaStreamingEngineManager as a non root user?

Thanks!

Take a look at this guide:
    How to run Wowza Media Server as non-root user on port 80

Salvadore

Hi Salvadore, this shows how to run Wowza Media Server as a non root user. I am after instructions to run the Wowza Streaming Engine Manager as a non root user.

Thanks!

Hi Dennis

For the Streaming Engine Manager to run as a non-root user you could look at modifying the startmgr.sh script in /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager/bin (default location). The following is a quick test I carried out which started up the Manager as a non-root user.

Please note that this is not a supported or documented solution. I will however feed this into our backlog queue, but we can't give any commitment for when a request will be implemented and supported.

Find the block of code like this:

if [ "$WMSMGRCOMMAND" = "start" ]; then
               $RUNCMD $CMD $BACKGRND &
            else
               $CMD
            fi
    Modify the line beginning $RUNCMD to the following:
     if [ "$WMSMGRCOMMAND" = "start" ]; then
                sudo -u $USER-g $GROUP $CMD $BACKGRND &
            else
               $CMD
            fi
    You will of course need to replace the $USER and $GROUP variables with your non-root user/group. You will also need to ensure that this user has permission to access the files within [install-dir]/manager/ and that the various lock and pid files are writable, but the basics are there to get something quickly up and running.

Regards

Paul

Please note that we now have an updated article covering how to run Wowza as a named user.