Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wowza and CVE-2014-0160

Default Wowza and CVE-2014-0160

Hi there,

I would like to ensure that our Wowza installation is not affected by the recent CVE-2014-0160 advisory:
    https://www.openssl.org/news/secadv_20140407.txt

Could you please let me know if Wowza uses its own SSL library or that of the underlying OS?

Thanks,
    Dennis

Dennis,

We have been looking into it. So far there is no impact to Wowza, from what I gather.

Richard

Is it a correct assumption that Wowza uses Java's SSL capabilities (provided by JSSE?) and doesn't rely on the underlying OS's OpenSSL package in any way?

Yes, that is correct, Wowza uses bouncycastle and JSSE, both of which do not use the OpenSSL library.

We have found no evidence openJDK depends on or uses openSSL. It is not a build dependency and there are no alerts for openJDK.

So while the version of openSSL in an EC2 AMI is vulnerable, unless you configure a product which uses openSSL, Java and Wowza Engine are not affected.

This bug affects TLS connections, so ssh is also unaffected.

Richard

Thank you very much for the clarification, Richard.

Hi,

Our security scan does show that our own server with 4.5.0.01 build18956 installed on Debian Jessie has a vulnerable OpenSSL version, however Debian is up to date.
    Will this be addressed in a future Wowza version (as Java comes bundled with the installation)?

Or can we manually update to a recent OpenSSL version so that a vulnerability scan doesn't show any risks anymore?
    Last edited by joffrey; 09-29-2016 at 12:53 AM.

We've since updated to: "Wowza Streaming Engine 4 Subscription Edition 4.5.0.03 build19252" however still see the following Vulnerability:
    CVE-2014-0224 | OpenSSL Out of Order Change Cipher Spec MiTM Vulnerability (port: 443 score: 3547 - Mitigation planned)

Why does this appear as vulnerable and how can we fix this, our Debian is up to date as well.

Hi joffrey,

What version of the Java JRE are you using? I know that there were issues with SSL with earlier releases. You can find the one we are using written to your wowzastreamingengine_access.log when Wowza starts up.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

We're using 1.8.0_60 on our production machines, and 1.8.0_112 on our test server. However the vulnerability shows up on both machines. So I'm wondering if it's a JRE issue or somehow in the Wowza application/components.

Edit: Just wondering which JRE is used in release 4.6.0?
    Last edited by joffrey; 11-28-2016 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joffrey View Post
    Hi Paul,

We're using 1.8.0_60 on our production machines, and 1.8.0_112 on our test server. However the vulnerability shows up on both machines. So I'm wondering if it's a JRE issue or somehow in the Wowza application/components.

Edit: Just wondering which JRE is used in release 4.6.0?
    Hello joffrey,

You can check which version of OpenSSL are supported and enabled in Wowza Streaming Engine by adding the following property to the <Properties> container at the end of [install-path]/conf/Server.xml and restart Wowza.

<Property>
    <Name>sslLogProtocolInfo</Name>
    <Value>true</Value>
    <Type>Boolean</Type>
    </Property>
    Once restarted check the following log file [install-path/logs/wowzastreamingengine_access.log

It should look something like this:

SSLInfo.ProtocolsSupported: SSLv2Hello,SSLv3,TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2
    SSLInfo.ProtocolsEnabled: SSLv2Hello,TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2
    The affected version of OpenSSL are "OpenSSL before 0.9.8za, 1.0.0 before 1.0.0m, and 1.0.1 before 1.0.1h"

Hope this info clears up any concerns you had.

Regards,
    Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast