Wowza Community

nDVR question

Hi,

I’m doing nDVR Wowza 30 hours recording time for my customer.

I have a problem with nDVR: when stream is down (i.e in 30 minutes), Wowza pause recording, and when stream up, it continue record.

That cause unsynced time (different time) between program schedule time and program time.

Ex: Live time is 14:00, customer select a football program at 2:00, but at that time the stream is down, then it not exactly go to 2:00.

Then if user seek before 2:00, everything is ok, but then if they seek to 2:00 or after that, the time is not correct. And after the 2:00 go to the beginning for Window duration, every is ok again.

I know because Wowza nDVR protocol choose current live time as original point, and it calculate time from that point.

Then my question:

Is there any way to insert blank/back screen or a notice teletext (i.e: the stream is down) automatically from Wowza?

Thanks & Regards,

Lee

Hi there, take a look at this module:

How to loop a pre-roll until a live stream starts (ModuleLoopUntilLive)

Salvadore

You probably want to do this:

<smil>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<stream name="Stream1"></stream>
<playlist name="pl1" playOnStream="Stream1" repeat="true" scheduled="2013-04-22 10:00:00">
<video src="testDVR.stream start="-2" length="-1"/>
</playlist>
</body>
</smil>

Note the start value “-2” which indicates that the source of the scheduled stream is a live stream.

Then you have to start testDVR.stream in the Manager by adding to StartupStreams, or using StreamManager.

You can then play “Stream1”, which in this configuration is just wrapping testDVR.stream. The scheduler is not doing anything in this case, but you can mix file sources, and other live streams in endless configurations.

Richard

Hi,

30 hours is the maximum for a single recording, but you can have as many shorter recordings as you want, that cover the time span you require.

Daren

Thank you Salvadore.

One more question: in the past, wowza recommend the maximum record length is 30 hours. Does it change?

I want to record as much as possible, because I could provide storage as much as it need.

Lee

Hi,

I’m confused about the article above. I’ve done all the thing the article mention (download and add library, add properties), and have a file named streamschedule.smil in content folder.

My streamschedule.smil:

testDVR.stream is my DVR stream.

testDVR.stream & sample.mp4 both are stored in content folder.

What’s next to do?

Lee, did you configure a server side stream by following one of these guides?

As part of the configuration, at least one server-side stream must be configured on the application. There are various methods to do this; however, this article shows how to do this by using a single stream that’s configured by following the instructions in How to do scheduled streaming with Wowza Streaming Engine (StreamPublisher).

You can also create server-side streams by using the Streams API. See How to do basic server-side publishing with Stream class streams.

Salvadore