Wowza Community

Snapshot a transcoded video

Hi guys, let me go straight to the goals and issues I am facing

Currently I want to display the stream (from other video/IP cameras) to the network with the overlay images. After that, the server has the capabilities to record the stream, split, stop the recording, and create some snapshots when users need.

Now I have succeeded in creating the transcoded stream with overlay images. I also implemented some win-form based application that creates and sends the HTTP Request to call the server to record, split or stop recording the stream. Now are some issues I am facing, hope you guys can help me figure it out

• Can I set the default output of the recorded files? Cause the default output is in the ${StorageDir} that I have to define with all stream files in there. I want to set the default output of recorded files to vod/content because I want the user can playback the video whenever they want. Now I just use the absolute path to vod/content in the outputPath param.

• How to get the “actual” image that is created by the Create Thumbnail HTTP Provider? Whenever I input the URL, it returns the image, but I don’t know how to get that image programmatically. In additional, is there anyway to get the snapshot/capture of the transcoded stream through HTTP Providers and provide the saving location in the servers ? If it’s possible, then connecting and commanding to wowza server through URL is really great. Now I am just able to connect and send the HTTP Request, but cannot get the HTTP Response because of the servers’ policy and firewalls, etc.

Thank you for your attention and help,

AD

By default recordings are saved to the application’s content folder, as set in Application.xml /Streams /StorageDir or the Manager, and that is what the variable ${StorageDir} points to, so you should use that. If the live application used to record and vod application used to playback have the same StorageDir setting, then you are all set. And that is the default for new applications, they all point to the same folder.

You can save the image from the web page, or you can write a program in php, for example, to load the url and process the image and save it. We don’t have examples of that but should be easy to find examples to get started with if you search around

Richard

You can record all live streams by selecting “Record all streams” in the application page of the Manager.

You can use Live Stream Record to record the stream.

Or you can record through the manager

Or you can record using the Live Stream Record API, to have more control of what is recorded,.

Richard

AD,

Sorry, I missed previous. Here is what you need

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your links. I have succeeded in recording stream. The recording part for me now is quite complete. I have tried to create the snapshot of the stream with the overlay image, but it seems like I can only do that with the original stream then.

You have any solution for this ? I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

AD

Any help?

By default recordings are saved to the application’s content folder, as set in Application.xml /Streams /StorageDir or the Manager, and that is what the variable ${StorageDir} points to, so you should use that. If the live application used to record and vod application used to playback have the same StorageDir setting, then you are all set. And that is the default for new applications, they all point to the same folder.

You can save the image from the web page, or you can write a program in php, for example, to load the url and process the image and save it. We don’t have examples of that but should be easy to find examples to get started with if you search around

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your help. So for the playback option, I could change the setting of ${StorageDir} of the vod application to make it point directly to the content folder of the live application.

About the snapshot, actually I could successfully capture the original video, but I couldn’t capture the transcoded stream. I just wonder if it is possible to capture the transcoded stream by the module CreateSnapshot. If it is, I will try to make an HTTP Providers module for that and test with the browser.

Thank you.

AD

You can record all live streams by selecting “Record all streams” in the application page of the Manager.

You can use Live Stream Record to record the stream.

Or you can record through the manager

Or you can record using the Live Stream Record API, to have more control of what is recorded,.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your links. I have succeeded in recording stream. The recording part for me now is quite complete. I have tried to create the snapshot of the stream with the overlay image, but it seems like I can only do that with the original stream then.

You have any solution for this ? I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

AD