Wowza Community

nDVR Manifest file StreamType is inconsistent

Greetings Wowza Team,

I am contacting you in regards to some issues that we are observing using Wowza 3.6.3 and the nDVR plugin. When using nDVR we are seeing inconsistencies in our Manifest files, specifically the SteramType property. At times the Manifest will report a stream type of DVR and others it will return as recorded. This is happening on a stream with a consistent bitrate and a codec.

Why would we be getting two different types of manifest files from the same application?

Could you please expand on why the manifest file would switch the StreamType and what steps we need to take to ensure we are getting the correct configuration.

Thank You,

Jason

Hi Jason,

A DVR stream can be live or recorded depending whether the source stream is live or not. I haven’t seen noticed what you are describing, but it makes sense. It should not be a problem.

Richard

Jason,

I think you have corresponding ticket regarding this issue. We can take a closer look there.

Richard

Richard,

Thank you for responding.

This is a problem because I am using consistent formatted live streams as specified in the nDVR Users Guide and getting two different manifest files.

So here is my problem.

I have a handful of our streams, lets say 60, and they all have a consistent bit-rate and codec that are accepted by Wowza/nDVR. When I start Wowza I can see that some of the feeds are correctly returning the Manifest file with the StreamType of DVR, the other chunk end up with the manifest file where the stream type is set to recorded. Even though all the streams are formatted the same, the results are always different when I restart Wowza. So a feed could be working fine in DVR mode then after a restart there’s a chance it will serve up the recorded manifest file instead.

The flash player on the client side is formatted based on the manifest file and we specifically want it for DVR playback. When a Manifest file with the StreamType DVR is returned there is both recorded and live video options within the flash player, but when a Manifest file specifying the streamType as recorded it is returned the client can only see the option to view recorded video and not the live stream.

Why could a stream that is always live with a consistent bit-rate and codec returning a Manifest file with the streamType of recording?

Jason