Wowza Community

Showing connection count on a webpage?

Brand new to Wowza, so apologies if this has been asked before. Our system engineers have set up a live streaming site (http://www.albemarle.org/listenlive) which is working fine, but I’ve been asked to find a way to show the current connection count on that page, something like the way that UStream does. I see the count in the serverinfo xml file, and there’s something in the connectioncounts link (110971382.08.0_defaultVHost_155001.9680110971382.08.0liveloaded66113.21718622.08.0_definst_66113.21418621.03.0COBBOS0000000) but our content management system doesn’t provide a way to read external files, just whatever is on a URL string or part of one of its own content articles. It can also embed VBScript and Javascript however, although I’m mainly proficient in the former rather than the latter. Is this even possible to show on the page that presents the stream?

TIA and let me know if more info is needed.

elaine

Charlottesville, VA

Hi there, please take a look at this module and see if it will suite your needs:

How to get connection counts for server, applications, and application instances sent to a Flash application (ModuleGetConnectionCount)

Alternatively there is an HTTPProvider:

http://[wowza-server]:8086/connectioncounts

You can use the connectioncounts as input for an xml parser.

Here is a similar thread with some information that may be helpful to you as well:

Accessing Connection Count XML Information - Cross-Domain

Salvadore

Also, Wowza Engine Manager has connection counts on the main page, and under Server/Server Monitoring

[wowza-ip]:8088/enginemanager

Salvadore

Elaine, if there is a budget for this project you might want to consider hiring a consultant.

You can post your needs to the find a consultant forum or you can email support@wowza.com and request a consultant list.

Salvadore

Hi there, please take a look at this module and see if it will suite your needs:

How to get connection counts for server, applications, and application instances sent to a Flash application (ModuleGetConnectionCount)

Alternatively there is an HTTPProvider:

http://[wowza-server]:8086/connectioncounts

You can use the connectioncounts as input for an xml parser.

Here is a similar thread with some information that may be helpful to you as well:

Accessing Connection Count XML Information - Cross-Domain

I freely admit I am WAY out of my depth here, Salvadore :frowning: I don’t have access to the Flash application, and I don’t know how to use an xml parser in my CMS. The code it can use is just VBScript (although it will use javascript and jquery) it’s not a .Net site, so creating classes for this isn’t an option. Probably the only real option I’ll have, it’s beginning to sound like, is to have some kind of web page as a link on the stream page, but that page would have to be configurable so it’s user friendly for our viewers.

If anyone out there has been able to create such a page showing the number of connections, I’d love to see that page.

Thanks!

elaine