Wowza Community

Wowza closes connection immediately if live stream is not found.

Hi,

i dunno if this question is previously answered or not. But a serious issue i see with wowza is that as soon as live stream stops even for 1 second it closes connection on viewers. As a result even a slight pause in between broadcast results is viewers being cut off and wont resume unless they press play again or may be reload the entire page. Is there a setting in wowza that can change this behaviour ? Typically on a live stream a player should keep waiting for stream. whenever the stream starts player will start showing frames. But wowza does not behave like that. It simply wont wait. I have seen both red5/fms wait for stream to resume or start.

can some one give any advice here ? Is there a timeout setting ?

What protocols are you using? And what clients are experiencing this issue?

Salvadore

Hi,

It is the player doing that, Wowza does not close the connection. If you use the Wowza Test RTMP player you will not see this, but many commercial players will close the connection if the live stream is not there. There is a JW Player example of using their javascript API to keep trying to reconnect in the JW player guide in case of error.

Richard

I haven’t tried it yet, but you might be able to use this example that way.

Richard

Am broadcasting using ffmpeg + rtmp protocol. Playback is in rtmp and hls. The issue is it takes ffmpeg 1 sec delay to complete one broadcast and and second one. In between this clients get connection closed. I have used strobe media playback for flash and html5 video tag for hls on iOS.

Hi Richard, thank you for your reply. What about handling of the html5 tag based hls stream. Playback stops immediately and does not resume when live stream is back after the 1 sec delay. How can I make html5 keep up?

Also I can confirm that same player with red5 does not close connection,