Wowza Community

Re-stream video from an IP camera (RTSP/RTP re-streaming) issue

Hi guys, I’m new with Wowza and I really appreciate any help regarding my issue below:

I followed the tutorial located here.

I can see from server manager page there’s an activity coming from my IP camera:

However, when I execute the Test Player, it’s not working:

Tested with another type of available player and it return this error:

This IP camera can be access remotely using VLC player via rtsp. Here’s the codec information:

I just have no idea what went wrong…

Thanks in advance!

Hi there, Since you are seeing 2 sets of audio and video it indicates that UDP ports are blocked or not mapped properly. VLC is able to failover from UDP to TCP, and that is why you see two audio and two video blocks in that case. However many Android and other devices use UDP and are not able to failover.

Take a look at this guide:

How to troubleshoot RTSP/RTP playback

Salvadore

All these screen shots show you playing a stream named “myStream”, but the stream name in your setup is “camera.stream”. That is what you use as the stream name in the player.

Richard

Again, this indicates UDP ports are blocked or not mapped properly to your Wowza server. I suggest undoing that change to your router and following this guide:

Networking (UDP and TCP setup)

Salvadore

That’s great! Thanks for the update and glad it is working for you now.

Salvadore

All these screen shots show you playing a stream named “myStream”, but the stream name in your setup is “camera.stream”. That is what you use as the stream name in the player.

Thanks Richard,

I did change the stream name from “myStream” to “camera.stream” but the same issue occur.

Hi there, Since you are seeing 2 sets of audio and video it indicates that UDP ports are blocked or not mapped properly. VLC is able to failover from UDP to TCP, and that is why you see two audio and two video blocks in that case. However many Android and other devices use UDP and are not able to failover.

Thanks Salvadore,

Following your advise, I changed the port forwarding from my router to the IP camera from TCP to UDP on port 554. However, I notice after doing this, I can’t view it remotely from my VLC player any longer. Does this mean:

1. My IP Camera only support TCP instead of UDP for RTSP?

2. Wowza can only re-stream my IP camera if it is transmitted based on UDP?

Thank you!

Hi Salvadore, thank for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Somehow, I managed to figure it out.

The cause of the problem is the IP address of my server. This server is deployed at Amazon EC2 and the address displayed in the screenshot above is the internal IP of the server. (I notice Amazon will assign 2 IP addresses for every instance launch, one is private and the other public IP).

I simply change the private IP to the public IP assigned by Amazon to this particular server, click on the Start button and it work right away!