Wowza Community

HTTP VOD streaming configuration for MP4 mimetype playback

We are trying to configure wowza to stream MP4 VOD over HTTP on top of the other 3 stream options we have (HLS, RTMP, RTSP)

What are the proper wowza settings for MP4 stream of VOD over HTTP ?

The reason we need this…

1. HLS not working in Android because it sends file in mimetype MP2T not MP4

2. RTMP flash only

3. RTSP uses device player but devices support HTML5 and we want to use the HTML5 player

Current stream URLs:

Flash – rtmp://oursitedotcom/c/mp4:videos/myvideo.mp4?audioIndex=1

Device player – rtsp://oursitedotcom/c/definst/mp4:videos/myvideo.mp4?audioIndex=1

HLS (MP2T mimetype output) – http://oursitedotcom:1935/c/definst/mp4:videos/myvideo.mp4/playlist.m3u8?audioIndex=1

Missing:

MP4 mimetype output stream URL

Does not function – http://oursitedotcom/c/mp4:videos/myvideo.mp4?audioIndex=1

Hi there, I do not think this is an issue with Wowza. It sounds like you need to set the MIME type of your web server to use “video/mp4”

“video/mp4” is the correct MIME type for .mp4

Salvadore

Hi,

If it is not configured by default, you can add it. Search for “Apache add mime type”

Richard

What you described at top is progressive download, which would not involve Wowza at all. You would have to add that MIME type if does not exist, but that involves your web server. You would also need to do that if you were using MediaCache with Wowza and the web server was the content server. If it is not configured by default you can add it following Apache documentation.

Many players use RTMP. You can use rtmp with progressive download also.

Wowza can stream video on demand and live content to Flash RTMP , Flash HDS, and HLS to iOS devices or VLC or JW Player 6 premium or above to the desktop.

Richard

Hi there, I do not think this is an issue with Wowza. It sounds like you need to set the MIME type of your web server to use “video/mp4”

“video/mp4” is the correct MIME type for .mp4

Salvadore

Hi thanks for the reply

I can confirm the Apache does have the video/mp4 mime-type set.

any other ideas?

Hi,

If it is not configured by default, you can add it. Search for “Apache add mime type”

Richard

Hi thanks for the reply

I can confirm the Apache does have the video/mp4 mime-type set.

any other ideas?

Let me ask it a different way

do we even need to use the RTMP protocol?

It appears that all players don’t care about RTMP and can simply use HTTP…

I emailed JWPlayer support and they reply that they use Edgecast to stream MP4 to all platforms.

It works perfect on Android and JWplayer 6 pro

I find it strange that we cannot get this MP4 streaming to work in wowza and JWPlayer 6 pro for Android devices

the network option; in the browsers we test, shows us the “content-type” of the video is “video/MP2T”

shouldn’t it be “video/MP4” ?