Thread: Random streamTimeout on Edge Servers. Why?

Question Random streamTimeout on Edge Servers. Why?

Dear colleagues,

We've been having an odd behaviour with Wowza 3.6.3 and I'd appreciate your help.

We have 5 servers at AWS, one configured as Origin and 4 as Edge servers. All of them are in the same datacenter/availability zone. Everything runs just fine, Edge servers are able to pull the stream from the origin and re-distribute to the end users. So far, so good.

However, for some very odd reason, sometimes, in a very random way, the Edge servers simply "interrupt" the stream and the errors are logged as "LiveMediaStreamReceiver.doWatchdog: streamTimeout". Consequently, users start to experience streaming loss. If I point all users to the origin server, everything runs just smoothly.

I've tried pointing the Edge servers both the internal and to the public IP of the Origin server, but it doesn't make any difference. Also, while monitoring all servers, they appear perfectly "healthy", with plenty of CPU and RAM to use.

So, our doubt now is "what could possibly be causing those random 'streamTimeout' events"? Anyone else has ever experienced that?

Thanks in advance,

LiveMediaStreamReceiver.doWatchdog: streamTimeout
    This message just means the edge is not receiving the stream and will start trying to reconnect. With that infrastructure (same ec2 availability zone) you would not expect network problems, but that is possible, or a problem with the source is possible. If source was the problem you would probably see some corresponding log messages on the origin.

I would use the internal DNS in your setup, though it is my understanding that EC2 will use it anyway in this case.

It might help to move to latest Wowza 4 release on EC2.

I'm building a new server farm with Wowza 4 and will report the results.