Wowza Community

wowza > jw player not working on mobile, Internet Explorer

Howdy - pretty happy how far i’ve gotten so quickly in getting our Axis IP cameras to be streaming nicely through Wowza & JW Player.

However, it only works on Webkit & Mozilla browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera).

It does not work on any mobile device, (Android or iOS), either. Here are my settings:

We have 8 cameras, all setup via stream files

rtsp://[username]:[password]@[camera_ip]:[camera_port]/axis-media/media.amp?videocodec=h264

everything in Wowza looks great - all streams marked as active and i can see them in the test players.

Here is my jw player code that i put on our website:

<script src='http://jwpsrv.com/library/[random trial key].js'></script>
<div style='margin:0 auto; width: 480px;'>
    <div id='jw_player'></div>
</div>
<script type='text/javascript'>
jwplayer('jw_player').setup({
    autostart: 'true', 
    sources: [{ 
        file: 'rtmp://[wowza ip address]:1935/[application]/[stream_name].stream'
    },]
});
</script>

Again - this works perfectly in Chrome, Firefox, opera and Safari, but not on my mobile or Internet Explorer.

The stream works if I pull up the Live Video Streaming page in IE: http://www.wowza.com/resources/3.6.0/examples/LiveVideoStreaming/FlashRTMPPlayer/player.html and connect to my wowza server.

Also, i get a stream if I dial in the rtsp:// link (I find this on the Mobile tab of the test browsers in the web UI) directly on my android device.

But nothing through the jw player. I get a “Error loading player: No playable sources found” error message.

Is the trial version of jw player limited in any way? And what are my options other than jw player? Can I embed the stream on all these browsers and devices another (less expensive) way?

Thanks in advance,

gw

Hi Graham,

It looks like you need to add an HLS/HTML5 configuration to your JW Player. Take a look at this article, which explains the setup:

How to use JW Player with Wowza Streaming Engine

In particular, note the code example under “Simple RTMP and Apple HLS streaming.”

-Tim

Graham,

Live and VOD playback is very similar. This is how the JW Player code will look for a live stream:

<body>
<div id="player"><a href="rtsp://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/live/myStream">RTSP Link</a></div>
<script type="text/javascript">
	jwplayer("player").setup({
		sources: [{
			file: "rtmp://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/live/myStream"
		},{
			file: "http://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/live/myStream/playlist.m3u8"
		}],
		rtmp: {
			bufferlength: 3
		},
		fallback: false
	});
</script>
</body>

Be sure that you have a functional, live stream coming from Wowza that will stream in our test RTMP player and an iOS device.

-Tim

Graham,

Excellent progress. Thank you for the update.

-Tim

Hi Graham,

It looks like you need to add an HLS/HTML5 configuration to your JW Player. Take a look at this article, which explains the setup:

How to use JW Player with Wowza Streaming Engine

In particular, note the code example under “Simple RTMP and Apple HLS streaming.”

-Tim

thanks for the quick reply, Tim.

Seen this page many times, but that section refers to VOD only. how do i change/massage those links to refer to my live streams?

Thanks again.

gw

Bump!

Can anyone help with this?

TIA, gw

OK great - thanks Tim. I now have it working on iOS devices. Still nothing on IE or Android.

Correction: both IE and Android do provide the link to the rtsp stream.

Clicking on that link streams properly on Android. IE gives me an error.

Viewing my stream via the test RTMP player works in IE, but still nothing through JW Player. Frustrating.

Thanks again much appreciated,

gw

UPDATE - turns out i was using Flash v11. Which i guess does not work with JW6. Updated flash to v13 and looks like we are fully good to go.

Thanks again, Tim.