Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Origin/Edge: "illegal" characters in the Origin URL?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Question Origin/Edge: "illegal" characters in the Origin URL?


    I'm setting up an Edge server using Wowza Streaming Engine 4.0.3 and I need to setup the Origin URL to "wowz://${AppInstance.Name}/${Stream.Name}"

    However, when I configure it this way, Wowza cannot "find" the origin. In the logs, I get the following error: " Illegal character in path at index...".

    If I type a regular URL pointing to a pre-set known AppInstanceName and StreamName (say, wowz://, then it works just fine. In other words, the origin/edge setup is OK - the problem is only in the path itself.

    Is there a way I can use "${AppInstance.Name}" and "${Stream.Name}" on the Origin URL? I was able to do that in Wowza 3.6, but for some reason I cannot make it work at Wowza Streaming Engine 4.0.3.

    Thanks in advance,


  2. #2


    I was able to solve the issue with the following steps. I'm not sure it's the best way to do it, but it works. I'd really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction for an easier approach of this problem.

    Here is what I did:

    1. Downloaded ModuleStreamNameAlias (

    2. Added the module ModuleStreamNameAlias on the repeater application. Here are the parameters on its Application.xml





    3. Created file at the Conf folder with the desired Origin URL:


    4. Created file at the CONF folder with the following content:


    IMPORTANT: By using this method, any changes to the Origin URL must be made on the file itself. It doesn't matter what's configured as Origin URL at Wowza's Streaming Engine Manager.
    Last edited by HelderConde; 05-07-2014 at 05:38 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013


    I don't think you'd need the variables when using OriginURL as it should be implied. If you left it at wowz:// it should make the request from the origin server with the given app instance and stream name. There isn't anything wrong with using StreamNameAlias but if you'd like to use OriginURL try just using the wowz address I've listed.

  4. #4


    You're absolutely right, matt_y!

    I undid everything I had done with the ModuleStreamNameAlias: deleted the .txt files, undid the modifications on the Application.xml.

    Then, I simply used wowz:// as the OriginURL, *without* using the "${AppInstance.Name}/${Stream.Name}" suffix. It worked perfectly.

    That's so much easier than my previous solution! Thanks so very much! Hope this helps other people out there! Thanks, man!


  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013



    Great, I'm glad you got it working!


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 06:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts