Wowza Community

Wowza transcoder starting a second small file

A little bit about my process

at 3 PM I start FFMPEQ and have it use UDP to stream mpegTS to wowza 4.0.3 and the transcoder . It streams and records to D:\Recordings\CouncilMeetings.stream_source.mp4 and a few other streams.

Most days at 12:30 AM ffmpeg stops and wowza closes the file. I rename these files at 1:05 AM to store them as daily archives.

Some days (about 50% of the time) wowza creates a new recording at 12:32. It creates a new file CouncilMeetings.stream_source.mp4 and so renames my original file to CouncilMeetings.stream_source_0.mp4.

These new files are very small. In the last week they have been 4K , 8k, and 33k.

When they are opened in VLC they have 1 second or less of audio. It might be audio coming from my capture card but it’s to short for me to tell.

When I compare the files CouncilMeetings.stream_160p.mp4 CouncilMeetings.stream_486p.mp4 and alll the other stream files they are binary identical. This is likely because there is no video and only audio.

Any thoughts on what might cause wowza to think a stream is incoming and create these files?

My event logs for 12:32:

The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service entered the running state.

Also

Fault bucket 611131699, type 5

Event Name: AEAPPINV2

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: 48

P2: 2

P3: 6.1.1.0

P4: 1033

P5: 70

P6:

P7:

P8:

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: dc1799af-dff0-11e3-b0ae-b4b52faf9996

Report Status: 0

Sorry I guess I wasn’t clear. I have video and audio in my normal files. The files that are created later on are audio only. It seems to be pulling the audio from some buffer after the video stream has been stopped in ffmpeg.

Hi,

How are the files being recorded?

If the stream has no audio you can use the transcoding template called audioonly.xml as I assume you don’t need multiple recording which are identical.

If you’re publishing some stream which do have video and need the template you’re using you can copy the audioonly.xml template and rename it to CouncilMeetings.stream.xml

When the application is configured to match incoming stream names when looking for a transcoding template it will use the above template.

Please see the article below for configuration assistance if required.

How to set up and run Wowza Transcoder AddOn for live streaming

Regards,

Jason

This indicates that you did not stop the CouncilMeetings.stream on the Wowza side, so the MediaCaster system starting trying to re-connect. Then it sounds like the encoder is started again somehow briefly, by your descripion.

If you can, instead of stopping on the FFmpeg or on just stopping on the FFmpeg side, you should stop the CouncilMeetings.stream in the Wowza Manager (or StreamManager or with the MediaCaster API) at about the same time. Then the Wowza MediaCaster system will not try to reconnect.

Richard

Hi,

Take a look at this article on setting up command line interface to Wowza

Richard

Is there a way to do this via command line? The process is automated.

This indicates that you did not stop the CouncilMeetings.stream on the Wowza side, so the MediaCaster system starting trying to re-connect. Then it sounds like the encoder is started again somehow briefly, by your descripion.

If you can, instead of stopping on the FFmpeg or on just stopping on the FFmpeg side, you should stop the CouncilMeetings.stream in the Wowza Manager (or StreamManager or with the MediaCaster API) at about the same time. Then the Wowza MediaCaster system will not try to reconnect.

Richard