Wowza Community

MediaCacheStore.getNextItem : java.io.IOException: Permission denied

ERROR server comment - MediaCacheStore.getNextItem : java.io.IOException: Permission denied|at java.io.UnixFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)|at java.io.File.createNewFile(File.java:1006)|at com.wowza.wms.mediacache.model.MediaCacheStore.getNextItem(MediaCacheStore.java:176)|at com.wowza.wms.mediacache.model.MediaCache.getNextStoreItem(MediaCache.java:490)|at com.wowza.wms.mediacache.model.MediaCacheItemBase.getStoreItem(MediaCacheItemBase.java:529)|

This happens when I accessed a video file stored in AmazonS3 bucket using the Test players come with Wowza.

• RTMP and HLS were tested. Both exhibits same results.

• video doesn’t come and the errors are printed out rapidly.

• This does not happen if I debug normal (origin/vod) applications that don’t use MediaCache (edge/vod).

• This does happen only when I’m running the service from Eclispe IDE (I followed IDE2 guide. and set debug flag according to this (changing platform to “mac”): Wowza IDE 2 and debugger not working! )

• I setup MediaCache - S3 by following this: https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-scale-video-on-demand-streaming-with-media-cache#mediacacheconf_storesadd

• My development system is Wowza + Eclispe on Mac OS Maverick.

• But if I’m running this by starting Wowza services with the startup script in Application folder, everything runs stable.

Therefore, something is wrong with my development environment. But I do not know where to start.

Please advise.

Hi,

The most likely reason that you are getting this error is because the user that is running eclipse doesn’t have write permission to the folder that is being used for the local media cache store.

If Wowza Streaming Engine then this will be /Library/WowzaStreamingEngine/mediacache. By default, the permissions for the /Library/WowzaStreamingEngine folder are read only for the regular users. You will need to reset these to allow write access.

If using the scripts to start Wowza normally then it runs as root user so you do see this problem.

Roger.

You are on the spot. I allow write permission to mediacache, then it works.

Hi,

The most likely reason that you are getting this error is because the user that is running eclipse doesn’t have write permission to the folder that is being used for the local media cache store.

If Wowza Streaming Engine then this will be /Library/WowzaStreamingEngine/mediacache. By default, the permissions for the /Library/WowzaStreamingEngine folder are read only for the regular users. You will need to reset these to allow write access.

If using the scripts to start Wowza normally then it runs as root user so you do see this problem.

Roger.