Wowza Community

How to check if stream (transcoding) is online or offline?

Hi,

we need to find any solution how to check if specific stream on specific application is online or offline (and if transcoding with Transcoder AddOn is going or done).

After live streaming we copy resulting file from content folder (mp4) to another place. If we make this step (call from our application server) before we stop encoder (FMLE), the file is broken (or lost). We need find out if everything is done (“FMLE stopped, Transcoder stopped, live streaming stopped”). Is any way how to solve it?

Thanks

Jan V.

Hi Jan,

Have you seen this article? How to remove recordings from live streams

Regards,

Paul

Hi,

I read this article but this is not for us. We need our own controlled process (from application server). OK, I wrote “copy to another place”. I was wrong. Copying takes too long. We move a files. We need to know a “right time” when files can be moved (after all parts [.tmp] of file are written and file is closed and we don’t want to append other video). It can not be a (full) automatic process. Must be controllable.

Above that we use Transcoder and also “auto record” setting. The stream is saved + 3 streams from Transcoder are saved. We delete “original” stream and work only with files created by Transcoder (move and so on). So in this case we delete 1 file and move 3 files to the other folder (at same RAID).

Jan

Hi,

sorry, but we don’t want this method (Wowza copy/move files). We want to operate files without depending on Wowza. I need to find the way how to check if specific stream (Transcoding) is online or offline. In short, as I wrote above.

Some simple query if stream/transcoder is done (own http provider ?). Then I can call other processes of the application server. As I wrote, if I move the file before Wowza “closes” it. The result is that file is broken or lost. I know that stream is running. I know when I stop the encoder. But I don’t know if Wowza is done with file and I can move it. I need check it before last step.

I’m sorry, but I do not know how better to describe it.

Thanks

Jan

Hi Paul,

OK. Thanks for the advice.

Jan

Hi Jan,

A programmatic way to do this would be to use the IMediaWriterActionNotify server listener to trigger an event.

How to use IMediaWriterActionNotify to programmatically move and rename recordings of live streams is an article we have with example code snippets that may help.

Paul

Hi Jan,

Our Mover API as linked to earlier should provide the appropriate indications regarding if a file is safe to move or not. If you require more complex triggers than this (e.g. only to move a recording based on if a stream is published or not) this also can also be interrogated via our Server Side API. To do this outside of Wowza is certainly possible but you may need to rely on other events that aren’t accurately reflected within Wowza. You can probably find the status of a Wowza event outside of Wowza, but it may be more reliable to poll Wowza via its API for current status.

Paul