Thread: Proper workflow with publishing security, and letting users livestream by themselves

Default Proper workflow with publishing security, and letting users livestream by themselves

I have a wowza origin server setup for live streaming with 1 publishing username/password, and a separate server setup ( for a live streaming site frontend. After the user has logged into the frontend site I want to let them start live streaming by providing the URL of my origin server and some custom stream name (eg. However my concern is that I don't want to share my global publishing username/password setup with that user.

How can I properly share this URL and let them publish their rtsp/rtmp stream and not give out my global pushing user/pass?
    Is there a way to generate new username/password via API so that everytime someone signs up on my frontend site they automatically get a custom publishing account? Would there be a limit to max # of accounts in this case in Wowza?

Please take a look at the "How to integrate Wowza user authentication with external authentication systems (ModuleRTMPAuthenticate)" forum article. Youmight find it useful when implementing the workflow you have described.

Hi Zoran,

Thank you for the quick reply. I believe this model is for viewing security, but I am interested in publisher security. Also I need RTSP support.

Lets say I have 3 users registered on my site:

UserA, UserB, UserC.

I want to let each of the 3 users publish their stream via FFMPEG. The stream names would be username + 5 digit number (which my randomly generated and stored in sql on my frontend server). So stream names can be something like:

This way I have security on the streaming end (with the extra token on the end of the stream name). However I need help to secure the publish name. I want to make sure each user only has authority to publish to a specific stream name (ie. UserA can only publish to stream UserA11111, and UserA should not be able to publish to UserA22222. How can I best accomplish this?