Wowza Community

VOD playlist

I have been able to play the demos and audio files using VOD, is it possible to create a playlist to avoid pointing to each file?

I would like to give the client player a single URI so it goes through a series of files.

Thanks for your help :smiley:

Hi,

The VOD server-side playlist feature is not currently supported by Wowza.

It’s a feature we are looking into, but there is no definite time frame set of when this feature will become available.

However, you can create a client side workaround and have the playlist managed by the player:

http://support.jwplayer.com/customer/portal/articles/1413113-configuration-options-reference#playlist

http://flash.flowplayer.org/plugins/javascript/playlist.html

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-do-pre-roll-and-playlist-for-ios-a-client-side-work-around

Zoran

use SMIL for referencing

I use SMIL for my client livestream filtering

Imagine a 24/7 streaming but a certain time and date, they want to filter the livestream with advertisements. We use Stream Scheduler and PHP/MYSQL to dynamically update the smil file.

You can also try implementing this server-side module showing “How to insert a pre-roll or mid-roll for video on demand playback in Flash RTMP client

Note that this is an RTMP only solution.

Zoran

Hi,

I would suggest using the same attributes for the pre-roll as your live stream, as much as possible. This will contribute to a more seamless transition. I would suggest you setup a test, using the documentation provided, and evaluate this for yourself.

While the video is streaming, VOD seek will perform normally. I don’t think the user will be able to seek back to a previous video, however.

-Tim

Hi there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

You can play them sequentially as video on demand streams, but this only works for Flash clients:

How to insert a pre-roll or mid-roll for video on demand playback in Flash RTMP client

Or you can play them sequentially as a live stream. This option works across clients and protocols.:

How to do scheduled streaming with Wowza Streaming Engine (ServerListenerStreamPublisher)

I hope this helps you.

Salvadore

Using the link Zoran posted, will this have a smooth play? So when first video stops, it will start loading the other one (this will cause small delay) OR it will buffer the next video before previous ends.

Plus, how is seeking supported?

My goal is to create a playlist of 3 videos

Video 1 [00:00 - 10:00] - play from 00:00 to 00:45

Video 2 [00:00 - 05:00] - play from 00:15 to 00:30

Video 3 [00:00 - 04:00] - play from 00:10 to 00:20

There are 2 solutions:

1. use ffmpeg or anything similar and trim, split and merge files

pros:

• no extra wowza coding

• easy seek

cons:

• slow (if user has an editor to change the from/to values, the delay when processing can be annoying)
  1. solve it with Wowza and somehow define to treat 3 files a one

pros:

• faster (I presume)

cons:

• additional coding (plugin)

• seek and duration can be a problem

I ask you if you can give me your opinion. As mentioned, I trying to have smooth play for 3 videos and working seek…

@azrilnazli I have this same requirement - trying to dynamically create a seamless video based on a whole lot of different chunks.

I’ve seen SMIL come up a lot, but I’ve not found a clear way to use it as a solution. In the doco it seems like it’s used an a generic descriptor for a MPEG-DASH or HLS (etc) manifest. But, can it be used to have wowza present a VOD stream made up of a few different videos?

video-topic 1

• bitrate variants

video-topic2

• bitrate variants…

video-topic3

• bitrate variants…

Any insight totally appreciated