Wowza Community

VOD Smooth Streaming on SAMSUNG tablet

I have some problems with VOD streaming.

It is all good playing HLS VOD streams on QT, VLC, web-based client, iPhone, SMUNG mobile phones and tablet.

But it is not playing SmoothStreaming VOD streams on SMUNG tablet, otherwise is good.

Is my stream something wrong? I’m using default vod configuration.

here I describe the tablet’s info. (Andriod)

• model number : SHW-M480W

• android version : 4.1.2

• kernel version : 3.0.31 - 1220323

• build number : JZO54K.M480WKAJML2

And streaming urls are here.

• HLS

http://54.178.136.251/vod/mp4:old_2.mp4/playlist.m3u8

• MSSS

http://54.178.136.251/vod/mp4:old_2.mp4/Manifest

Thanks for your help

Hi,

Android devices support Apple HLS but do not support Microsoft Smooth Streaming.

I can successfully play the content using the link provided in a Microsoft Silverlight player.

Please try using the Microsoft Silverlight player in the [Wowza-Install]/examples/ directory.

Regards,

Jason

Hello,

The default Android player is not able to play back Microsoft SmoothStreaming streams.

Is it possible that the Android devices where you were able to play back SmoothStreaming protocol, had some sort of a Silverlight Smoothstreaming player installed?

Zoran

Hi,

What was the URL you used to play back that video from the IIS server. Did you simply download the VOD from the IIS or you used the Microsoft Media Server for streaming this video to your Android device?

Zoran

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your findings with us.

Zoran

Jason,

I’ve played my video on another Android “phone” devices.

but it didn’t play on tablet only. also I have played my video on the phone same with tablet’s android version.

thanks

Hi Zoran,

Are you saying it is the player’s problem?, but I have tested same video and same player from IIS, was no problem.

and I found something strange, if I test 1920x1080 video (one of my videos - has problem) play well.

Hi,

It was encoding problem. SMUNG tablet only plays videos that encoded with using MAX DPB size. (max refs).

Thanks