Thread: Wowza Server Performance With Multi Source

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Wowza Server Performance With Multi Source

I had been searching in google and here the performance benchmark . Only the Transcoder Addon benchmark I found . First of all
    The scenario is different 1000 source ( assume they are ip cam with the rtsp link )
    * How many startup streams can start in the demo machine below . (only transcoding by wowza ,transrating disabled )
    ** How many source can be handled by wowza ( without transcoding and transrating , I'll stream them via ffmpeg ) ( transcoder machine and the streamer machine is different )
    *** Is there any input limit that metered by mbits ? for example ,
    " if I make the performance tuning and give wowza 10gb ram , and Gc is very big with the heap size "
    Wowza max take 70 Mbit input at the same time etc ?

How can I guess the cost , how many machine needed , is there any function or formula for doing this ?
    OR try and mistake , try again ?

Demo Server
    Processor: Xeon CPU X5xxx @ 3.xx GHz
    Cores/Threads: 24/48
    Memory: 96 GB
    Java: Java 7 64-bit
    GPU/Acceleration: Single NVidia Tesla C2070 with 6GB RAM

Hello there,

Wowza does not enforce any hard limits. Bandwidth (network throughput) is the usual limiting factor.
    I believe Java is capable of saturating up to 5 gigs of throughput.

With 20% overhead accounted for. A 1g nic = 800mbs throughput, which is 800 1 mbs streams, or 1600 500kbs streams

We recommend a late-model dual-quad cpu, 4 - 8 gigs of ram, 64 bit OS and 64bit version of Java. For reference.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Salvadore

I just realized you are talking about incoming streams, sorry for the confusion.

1000 input/source streams on a single server instance is considered extremely high.
    Normally we do not recommend more than 200. If they are audio only perhaps
    that number could be a little higher. You would need consider several Origin servers
    to handle such a load.
    You would need to test starting with a low number of input streams and then slowly
    scale up and monitor the resource usage as you go.

Incoming live streams use up several different resources on a system, some memory, some CPU and of course network.
    It's probably only a small percent of each of those resources per stream, but have 200 streams and that adds up quickly.

Load testing is the best way to know.

Salvadore

Thanks for the quick response Salvadore . Actual number is 3500 , in a few years it will be 20.000 , I use wowza for along time and developed lots of project , city cameras , conference module etc but it's the first time that I came across the huge project .
    A few months ago , I used live-origin,live-edge module and it has really extremely high performance 15.000 current user in 3 machine but there was only one live stream . Multi stream makes me confusion and hard to evaluate what I need .200 is a fine number for the begining , I'll write to this topic after test.
    Regards,
    Emre Karataşoğlu
    Quote Originally Posted by salvadore View Post
    I just realized you are talking about incoming streams, sorry for the confusion.

1000 input/source streams on a single server instance is considered extremely high.
    that number could be a little higher. You would need consider several Origin servers
    to handle such a load.
    You would need to test starting with a low number of input streams and then slowly

Incoming live streams use up several different resources on a system, some memory, some CPU and of course network.
    It's probably only a small percent of each of those resources per stream, but have 200 streams and that adds up quickly.

Salvadore

Hi again , @Salvadore I wanna ask that
    view counts will be very very low , ie : active stream 300 , active viewers 10 .
    active stream will be high, in this condition using origin - edge architecture make sense ?
    I guess I need the opposite tech of live-edge repeater , I need to distribute live streams dynamically , not viewer :/
    Quote Originally Posted by salvadore View Post

to handle such a load.

Salvadore

As far as balancing publishers, you may consider setting up multiple instances of Wowza and then utilizing round-robin DNS to distribute the load more evenly across your servers.