Wowza Community

Wowza Server Performance With Multi Source

I had been searching in google and here the performance benchmark . Only the Transcoder Addon benchmark I found . First of all

The scenario is different 1000 source ( assume they are ip cam with the rtsp link )

• How many startup streams can start in the demo machine below . (only transcoding by wowza ,transrating disabled )

** How many source can be handled by wowza ( without transcoding and transrating , I’ll stream them via ffmpeg ) ( transcoder machine and the streamer machine is different )

*** Is there any input limit that metered by mbits ? for example ,

" if I make the performance tuning and give wowza 10gb ram , and Gc is very big with the heap size "

Wowza max take 70 Mbit input at the same time etc ?

How can I guess the cost , how many machine needed , is there any function or formula for doing this ?

OR try and mistake , try again ?

Demo Server

Processor: Xeon CPU X5xxx @ 3.xx GHz

Cores/Threads: 24/48

Memory: 96 GB

Java: Java 7 64-bit

GPU/Acceleration: Single NVidia Tesla C2070 with 6GB RAM

Hello there,

Wowza does not enforce any hard limits. Bandwidth (network throughput) is the usual limiting factor.

I believe Java is capable of saturating up to 5 gigs of throughput.

With 20% overhead accounted for. A 1g nic = 800mbs throughput, which is 800 1 mbs streams, or 1600 500kbs streams

We recommend a late-model dual-quad cpu, 4 - 8 gigs of ram, 64 bit OS and 64bit version of Java. For reference.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Salvadore

Thanks for the quick response Salvadore . Actual number is 3500 , in a few years it will be 20.000 , I use wowza for along time and developed lots of project , city cameras , conference module etc but it’s the first time that I came across the huge project .

A few months ago , I used live-origin,live-edge module and it has really extremely high performance 15.000 current user in 3 machine but there was only one live stream . Multi stream makes me confusion and hard to evaluate what I need .200 is a fine number for the begining , I’ll write to this topic after test.

Regards,

Emre Karataşoğlu

I just realized you are talking about incoming streams, sorry for the confusion.

1000 input/source streams on a single server instance is considered extremely high.

Normally we do not recommend more than 200. If they are audio only perhaps

that number could be a little higher. You would need consider several Origin servers

to handle such a load.

You would need to test starting with a low number of input streams and then slowly

scale up and monitor the resource usage as you go.

Incoming live streams use up several different resources on a system, some memory, some CPU and of course network.

It’s probably only a small percent of each of those resources per stream, but have 200 streams and that adds up quickly.

Load testing is the best way to know.

Salvadore

Hi again , @Salvadore I wanna ask that

view counts will be very very low , ie : active stream 300 , active viewers 10 .

active stream will be high, in this condition using origin - edge architecture make sense ?

I guess I need the opposite tech of live-edge repeater , I need to distribute live streams dynamically , not viewer :confused:

I just realized you are talking about incoming streams, sorry for the confusion.

1000 input/source streams on a single server instance is considered extremely high.

that number could be a little higher. You would need consider several Origin servers

to handle such a load.

You would need to test starting with a low number of input streams and then slowly

Incoming live streams use up several different resources on a system, some memory, some CPU and of course network.

It’s probably only a small percent of each of those resources per stream, but have 200 streams and that adds up quickly.

Salvadore

to handle such a load.

Salvadore

As far as balancing publishers, you may consider setting up multiple instances of Wowza and then utilizing round-robin DNS to distribute the load more evenly across your servers.