Wowza Community

How to setup WOWZA to do VOD and Live Streaming at same time?

My WOWZA server is currently running VOD service. And now we would like to add live audio broadcasting service, I have the following question at the moment.

1. Can I use the same machine for both service?

2. How to do the setup and configuration?

3. What audio broadcasting source do WOWZA supports?

4. I would like to put my broadcasting on my website, which player can do that? JWPlayer?

Many thanks

Hello there, and welcome to the forum.

Yes, Wowza can support live and VOD streaming at the same time on the same machine. You just need to have an application set up for VOD and one for live. (You can also have more then one application for each type)

I am not sure what your question number 3 is. But Wowza supports AAC and MP3 audio codecs.

Yes, JW Player and Wowza is a very popular combination.

If you have done so yet, please take a look at the quick start guide to help answer some of your question.

Please let us know how we can assist you in the future.

Salvadore

Hi,

Please take a look at the “How to use JW Player with Wowza Streaming Engine” forum article.

It should have all the info you need.

Zoran

For server specs:

We recommend late-model dual-quad cpu, 4 - 8 gigs of ram, 64 bit OS and 64bit version of Java.

You will need a live stream encoder. A few popular options are:

Flash Media Live Encoder

Wirecast

These guides will explain how to set up your Wowza application:

How to set up live streaming using an RTMP-based encoder (Flash Media Live Encoder)

How to use Telestream Wirecast live encoder with Wowza Streaming Engine

For audio encoding, it is best to use AAC audio from the encoder (if it is available) if using mp3, it should be 4100Hz, 64 or 128kb.

I hope this answers your questions.

Salvadore

Glad to hear we were able to help and that you are up and running.

Let us know how we may assist you in the future.

Salvadore

Hello, does this issue happen consistently or randomly?

It is possible that the connection between FMLE and Wowza was lost. Do you have a stable network connection?

Salvadore

It is strange that it happens just about every 30 minutes. Are you running any custom modules? What is happening on your server every 30 minutes? A cronjob?

Try removing FMLE from the equation by create a live stream using the StreamClass Example.

You can take a look at your memory usage with JConsole to help narrow down the problem.

You can also start Wowza in stand-alone mode(/bin/startup.bat | startup.sh) and see the log output in the console to help pin down the problem.

I hope this helps.

Salvadore

Hi Salvadore,

Thanks for the reply. I would like to use the Wowza server to broadcast a live PR event’s audio. So I will need a PC in the venue to record the sound and send to Wowza server and broadcast that, right?

So, what format / Protocol do that PC output so that Wowza has the best support?

Hi Salvadore,

Thanks a lot for the reply, this is what I am exactly looking for.

I have now setup the application called “live” in my wowza server and tried to use Flash Media Live Encoder to broadcast something and tested under Test Player page (http://www.wowza.com/testplayers) and it works perfectly!

Another problem now (hope it would be final one), I am using JWplayer in my website, how can I generate rtmp for my live stream so that I can embed it to my JWplayer?

is it rtmp://[ip]/live/[mystreamname] ? < but it response 404

Thanks a lot Zoran, I have just successfuly play my stream with JWplayer.

Thank you Zoran and Salvadore

btw, the rtmp url should be rtmp://[ip]:[port]/[applicationname]/[format]:[mystreamname]

which is rtmp://[ip]:[port]/live/mp4:[mystreamname] to me

Hi Salvadore,

Sorry to bother you again, I have tested my live stream with test player for many times, and it will eventually stop after about 30min.

Is there any configuration value to set this timeout or expiry time?

Hi Salvadore,

I am using office network, I bet the network is very stable.

And this happens like everytime, I can’t found any configuration setting is related to that yet.