Wowza Community

Combination of live and Amazon S3-hosted videos using streamschedule.smil

Hi,

I’m using a pre-built Wowza AMI (ver 3.6.2). I’m streaming a combination of VOD and live using streamschedule.smil and it works perfectly. Currently, the videos are stored at the default /content folder.

Since the storage size is limited, I’m planning to have them transferred to Amazon S3. My question is, how am I going to do this? I already tried changing the path of the videos from the default /storage directory to my Amazon S3 bucket but they failed to play. What configurations should I change or implement? Should I use MediaCache addon? If so, is it already included in the Wowza AMI? or I need to request one?

By the way, I am using individual streamschedule.smil, say streamschedule-ABC.smil for ABC application.

Thank you.

Roger

Roger,

Yes, use MediaCache, and it is built-in to those pre-built AMIs. You will configure MediaCache in that application, except that you will leave the Application.xml /StreamType “live”, instead of “default” which is typical with MediaCache, but it will work with scheduler app so the file assets and .smil files can be stored on S3.

Highly recommend upgarding to Wowza 4.04 with AWS Marketplace AMIs, which are EBS backed volumes which can be stopped and started.

Richard