Wowza Community

Flash Version String - Wildcard to allow all publishers?

Is there a way to set an “allow all” type of wildcard character in the Flash Version String in Wowza 4 to allow all RTMP publishers by default? At the link below is seems to say that either Wirecast or FME/FMLE connections are allowed by default in Wowza 4.

This setting is used to identify an RTMP publisher to the server and is set by the encoder manufacturer. If not set, the following will be used: Wirecast/, FME/, FMLE/

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-configure-security-using-wowza-streaming-engine-manager#flashverstring

Also, for question number 2, can this be set globally on the server via some config file? Or, does this need to be set for each individual “application”?

Thanks =),

Mark

Hi Mark,

The Flash Version String can be set by Application and is then stored as a property in the [wowza-install-dir]/conf/[app=name]/Application.xml file. This can be set via the Streaming Manager UI: App Name > Incoming Security > Edit > Flash Version string.

Currently there is no method to edit the global list of Flash Version Strings. However, I will forward your suggestion on to our product development team.

Paul

Thank you for the feedback. Is it possible to set the Flash Version string to “*” or something similar to allow all RTMP publishers? Our goal is to avoid our users from being blocked out from using an encoder they currently use if it is different than the couple allowed by default in Wowza 4. For example, as we update existing Wowza 3 servers (which seems to allow all RTMP publishers by default) to Wowza 4 we may have many clients blocked from streaming until we manually add in their encoder, we are hoping their is a way to do this with an “allow all” option in the config. Thanks =). Mark

Just checking in on this and wanted to see if maybe I am missing something here. Can a Teradek device broadcast to Wowza 4 with the default Wowza 4 settings? It seems that the RTMP publisher user agent for Teradek is “Teradek/1.0 compatible FMSc/1.0”, which would not match the default Wowza 4 Flash Version String list (i.e. from the Wowza documentation… “if not set, the following will be used: Wirecast/, FME/, FMLE/”). I know we can add this manually, but that is a lot of work to do for all our users and they may decided to use a different device in the future.

In Wowza 3, it seemed there were no restrictions on the RTMP publishers by default, but now with Wowza 4 there appear to be restrictions by default (i.e. Wirecast and FMLE only). I imagine I am missing something and there has to be an easy way to allow all RTMP encoders to publish without manually needing to update each user’s config file individually with a long list of RTMP publishers that they may or may not use now or in the future.

Any guidance you can provide to easily allow our users to use their desired RTMP publisher (i.e. Teradek, unknown, etc.) without us manually needing to add it to their config files would be helpful. One option I imagine is using a Flash Version String list like “A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N,O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z, a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t,u, v, w, x, y, z” to try to match every possible option, but I imagine there is a simpler solution =).

Thanks =),

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, the ability to define the Flash Version String to a global or application-specific wildcard is what I have forwarded to our product development team. Please be aware though that I obviously can’t guarantee if or when this feature will be implemented as of this time.

Paul

Hi Mark,

Just to acknowledge that we’ve received this within our ticketing system. We’ll keep you updated via that channel.

Paul