Thread: iPad : Aspect ratio troubles depending on resolution

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question iPad : Aspect ratio troubles depending on resolution

Hello,

We tested the last version of Gocoder application on two different versions of iPad (gen 2 and the last one).
    Things goes fine while setting the iPad camera resolution to 720p (16:9 aspect ratio). The displayed aspect ratio is correct while playing stream in a embedded player (flowplayer).
    However the same setup with a 640x360 resolution (the same 16:9 aspect ratio) gave us a distorted video while playing in a embedded player.

I do not know where is the limitation, but on the iPads screens the aspect ration seems ok for all resolutions. The distortion only appears while playing the stream.

Moreover I checked the logs of Wowza while publishing the 640x360 stream and the information about the incoming stream resolution is as expected 640x360.

In this situation we cannot exploit lower video definition with 16:9 aspect ratio and we have to do that because the 720p minimal stream bandwidth is 1Mbps but it does not fit a standard ADSL having less than 1Mbps upload bandwidth available.

It would be nice to have the aspect ratio respected for all resolutions and to be able to go below 1Mbps on 720p streams (700 or 800kbps should be ok).

Best regards,

Artur.

Hi Artur,

I don't think there is anything that can be done on the Wowza side to change this.

Richard

And what about changing the minimum stream bandwidth for 720p to 7-800kbps ?

Looking at GoCoder on my IPhone, after choosing the 720p(hd) option the application displays "5000kbps". There is not an option to set minimum bandwidth, it is tied to the resolution.

Richard

On iPad you can change the bitrate value. you can see it in the lower left corner. And there are 4 values between 1000kbs and 5000kbps while configured for 720p resolution.

Right, the IPhone has that too, actually. I will send your report and request to backlog. I cannot say when it might be considered or implemented.

Richard